Archive | June, 2015

Arts History Update for late June 2015

24 Jun

Arts History Update for late June 2015 by David Cummins

Want to learn more about embroidery and quilting designs from a notable designer? Sue Spargo will provide a lecture and trunk show at Texas Tech University Museum Jones Auditorium on Wednesday July 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm a free event, reservations requested at 742-2443


A series of beautiful photographs of public art on the Texas Tech University campus is at this website


Short documentary film by Economist Magazine on civilian use of drones and on drugs being grown for commercial use


Senior News in Waco Texas, publisher Dan McNeil, is a local monthly newsprint magazine that is available free at supermarkets and other locations. It now operates an updated website with the same but more timely information in it but you can still read the print edition online at

Don’t confuse that monthly newsprint magazine with Golden Gazette by Word Publications, 1310 Avenue Q, Lubbock that is also free at supermarkets and other locations and is also online where you can read the June 2015 issue. Mary Ann Edwards is the editor succeeding the recently retired Jo Stone. It also publishes The Texas Tech Word magazine in print and online at


Illuminance is the biennial juried photography exhibition at Buddy Holly Center Fine Arts Gallery from Friday June 26 – Saturday August 15 on which last day there will be a closing reception and gallery talk by juror Rixon Reed at 3:00 pm. Photographer Naomi Hill will conduct a workshop Art of the Cyanotype on Saturday July 11 from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm $15 per person children youth and adults register by July 7.


June 20 – September 27, 2015 at the Armand Hammer Museum in Los Angeles at 10899 Wilshire Boulevard is a solo exhibition by Mark Bradford titled Scorched Earth, twelve new paintings including the lobby mural. Paintings in his case means mixed media including scrap raw materials coaxed and teased into a painting outcome but clearly three dimensional pieces even if set on a canvas. Some pieces like Bell Tower (2014) suspended over the security screening area at Tom Bradley Los Angeles International Airport international terminal, are best described as abstract-painted sculpture. A recent magazine article is Calvin Tompkins, What Else Can Art Do: The many layers of Mark Bradford’s work, The New Yorker, June 22, 2105 at pages 28-34


For those Microsoft Windows Operating System users who have reserved the free upgrade, Windows 10 Operating System will automatically download and install on your computer on July 29, 2015. That includes removal of the previous Operating System. Here is a caution. When there’s a massive launch of a new Operating System, you can expect glitches. One thing that can happen is that old software programs and files don’t transfer over but are gone! Thus, either back-up your important software programs and files before July 29 or don’t upgrade when it’s first available. Just bide your time while glitches are all worked out, and then upgrade later within the first year opportunity.

Purchasing a back-up system and learning how to retrieve backed up programs and files is an option, but many people don’t want to spend lots of time and energy on something that isn’t done routinely or repetitively. Some people purchase and install a back up system and then when retrieval is needed, call the expert and have him/her/it retrieve and install selected backed up programs and files. That technique works well when a brand new computer is purchased. Important programs and files on the back up device are retrieved and installed on the new computer immediately after it’s set up, so the end result is that the new computer has “all the right stuff” in it and on it and is immediately useful and usable with ease. This is old-fashioned common sense blended with contemporary high-technology capacities to yield something that works well for us humans.


Prosperity Bank 2015 Catfish Fry is Thursday June 25 on the grounds of the bank at 1501 Avenue Q, Lubbock 5:30 – 8:30 pm $15 at the gate $10 in advance at all bank locations. The benefits go to South Plains Food Bank that is hoping to open its new building in late Fall or early Winter. That is the J.T. and Margaret Talkington Distribution Center at East 56th Street and Martin Luther King, Jr Boulevard.

This Catfish Fry is part of the Summer of Sharing Food Drive May 25 – June 30, 2015


Railroad History in South Plains of northwest Texas

Texas & Pacific Railway Co chartered in 1871 to build a railroad from Marshall Texas to San Diego California, but it met the Southern Pacific at Sierra Blanca Texas south of El Paso in 1881 and ended there. The line connected east Texas with the Dallas, Fort Worth, Abilene, Permian Basin and trans-Pecos River country.

Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Co, Fort Worth Texas chartered June 6, 1873 opened a line from Fort Worth to Hodge Junction 1881 Wichita Falls 1882 Harrold 1885 Chilicothe 1886 Childress and Amarillo by 1887 and Texline 1888 and Clayton New Mexico connecting with a line to Denver Colorado Buttel Railroad Museum (2000) Amarillo Texas displays the rolling stock and equipment of yesteryear. Amarillo Railroad Museum also displays artifacts. Texas Historical Commission And here is a map of the line TXZZ0031_a.jpg

Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway Co, Amarillo Texas chartered November 11, 1886 extended south from Canyon Texas to Plainview in 1907 and to Lubbock in 1910 where it connected with the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe line from Sweetwater to Slaton into which it morphed. The Santa Fe line at the Caprock stopped at Southland, Slaton, Burris, Lubbock, Shallowater, Anton Littlefield, Sudan, Mill, Tolk, Muleshoe, Lariat, Farwell and finally Texico New Mexico.

South Plains and Santa Fe Railway Co, headquartered in Lubbock chartered August 17, 1916 when it acquired the Crosbyton-South Plains line, in 1925 the Doud-Bledsoe line, and in 1948 merged into Panhandle & Santa Fe Railway Co.

Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway Co chartered March 6, 1925 built a line from Estelline to Plainview and Dimmitt and a branch south from Silverton to Lubbock in 1928. The current Buddy Holly Center is located in a former Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway depot giving rise to the area in Lubbock being called the Depot Entertainment District. an earlier donation of trackage and right of way led to a 1993 opening of the Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway from Estelline Texas to South Plains Texas north of Floydada it’s now a hiking, bicycling, and equestrian trail about 64 miles in length that passes through Clarity Tunnel. The Park opened in 1982 and is the official home of the Texas State Bison Herd preserved from those few that Molly Goodnight and her husband Charles saved on their Goodnight Ranch north of the Park and east of Claude Texas.

Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railway Co extended after 1902 from the Red River near Quanah to Floydada Texas, as a connective extension of the St Louis – San Francisco Railway,_Acme_and_Pacific_Railway

What did this railroad network in the Panhandle South Plains Rolling Plains mean for commerce? Nearly everything, but as an example Harris F. Underwood 1864-1929 and his son Arch S. Underwood 1892-1972 ran a cotton warehouse and cotton compress business in this area and had warehouses on the railroad sidings at Bovina, Dimmitt, Sudan, Whiteface, Seagraves, O’Donnell, Lubbock, Abernathy, Hart, Lockney, Floydada, Roaring Springs, Paducah, and Quitaque, and had compresses near sidings at Lamesa, Tahoka, Lubbock, Ralls, Plainview, Littlefield, Childress and Quanah. That’s how harvested cotton gets to market. Museum of the American Railroad, Frisco Texas 


Corner House Concerts produced by Roger Landes occurred February 21, 2015 with Kim Treiber and Chipper Thompson performing, and June 16, 2015 with Kevin Burke performing, at J & B Coffee 2701 26th Street back room [seats 50 but that’s pretty tight together sitting] and low price for admission $15 advance ticket $20 admission at the door on the concert evening.

What kind of music can be heard at these concerts? A clue is that Roger W. Landes is a bouzouki, mandolin and guitar player of Celtic folk music. He is employed as an instructor at Texas Tech School of Music performing with the Vernacular Music Center and plays gigs around the Southwest United States. He has a CD recording titled House to House (Foxglove 2004) with Randal Bays on fiddle Roger Landes on bouzouki.


Jesus Moroles, Texas sculptor, died in an automobile collision recently. His monumental stone pieces on the Texas Tech University campus are now a part of his legacy. Lapstrake (2005) an eastern approach to Experimental Sciences Building, Square Spiral Arch (2007) a western approach to Experimental Sciences Building, and Windmill (2013) near the roaming bronze longhorn steers at entrance to National Ranching Heritage Center


The Waggoner Ranch is for sale with an asking price of $725 million this is an excellent summary of events since Dan Waggoner’s son W.T. William Thomas ”Tom” Waggoner started a ranch farther west from that of his father in the early 20th century, and the photographs and videos are savable.

In a previous Arts History Update I wrote

Electra Waggoner Biggs, Riding Into the Sunset (1947) is a bronze statuary of Will Rogers on his horse Soapsuds at the entrance to Will Rogers Memorial Center including an Auditorium & Coliseum in Forth Worth Texas and four slightly smaller versions are at Amon Carter Museum of American Art in Forth Worth, Will Rogers Memorial Museum and Home of Will Rogers in Claremore Oklahoma, Texas Tech University Memorial Circle (1949) and at Hilton Anatole Hotel (1989) in Dallas. The sculpture was completed in 1939 but world events took over the process of building the coliseum in Fort Worth.

Lineage of The Waggoner Ranch and its heirs:

1. Daniel Waggoner (1828-1902) cattle baron, based on a ranch near Decatur Texas in Wise County since leaving Hopkins County in 1853 with 229 head of cattle after his father Solomon’s death in 1849 and his wife Nancy’s death in childbirth in 1853.

2. son W.T. William Thomas “Tom” or “Pappy” Waggoner, (1852-1934) cattleman and horseman who bred thoroughbred horses and built Arlington Downs racetrack in Arlington Texas in the 1930s in part from oil discovered on the ranch, founded the Waggoner Ranch on and near the Little Wichita River extending to above the Wichita River and west into Clay County, Wichita County, Wilbarger County and Baylor County

3. daughter of W.T. Waggoner was Electra Waggoner Wharton 1882-1925 for whom the town of Electra was named in 1907 it formerly being called Beaver Creek, and son Guy Waggoner 1883-1950 and son E. Paul Waggoner, 1889-1967 quarter horse breeder and western lore promoter,

4. Electra Waggoner Biggs 1912-2001 was the daughter of E. Paul Waggoner and she died at age 88 in a Vernon Texas hospital near her family home Santa Rosa Roundup Ranch within the Waggoner Ranch. She became a sculptor and completed Riding Into the Sunset in 1939 but it was installed in 1947 due to world events delaying and displacing construction of the Will Rogers Memorial Auditorium and Coliseum in Forth Worth. shows some of her commissioned sculpture.

She was a beautiful and stately woman for whom the Buick Electra car was named as well as the Lockheed Electra airplane.

5. Electra’s daughters are Helen Biggs Willingham (Mrs. Gene Willingham) who still lives on the ranch home and Electra Biggs Moulder (Mrs. William Moulder) of Jacksonville Florida.

The shares in the W.T. Waggoner Estate (a business trust from 1923) that operates the Waggoner Ranch are roughly owned 50% by Wharton heirs and 50% by Biggs heirs.

Waggoner Ranch

The Waggoner Commissary erected in the 1870s on the ranch near Electra Texas was preserved and moved to the National Ranching Heritage Center in Lubbock Texas in its Proctor Park section


Post City Crafters Days is the first Saturday of each month in historic Main Street in downtown Post Texas, next month on July 4, 2015, so it may be a Fourth of July day trip location. All day long event

On June 27-28, 2015 is Texas Last Frontier Heritage Celebration at Morton Texas at which one could get in a bit smaller parade experience as a preparation for the annual Fourth of July Parade at Mackenzie Park in Lubbock this year detailed list of activities

Schedule for the Lubbock Fourth of July festivities


C.B. Stubblefield [Stubb’s BBQ] of Lubbock Texas never got rich, but his successors selling his famed barbeque sauce were just paid $100 million to hand it over and walk away One of those successors is the son of O.V. and Fran Scott, long-time Lubbock residents who moved to Austin late in life. Fran died earlier this year.

The condiment company McCormick & Co of Maryland will be purveying the sauces now.



Arts History Update for mid June 2015

12 Jun

Arts History Update for mid June 2015 by David Cummins

Dean Carol Edwards of the College of Visual & Performing Arts is leaving Texas Tech University after a marvelous eight year deanship that propelled the School of Music, School of Art, and soon to be School of Theatre and Dance to new heights and many accomplishments. Big shoes for Tech to fill but that’s just the challenge it wants and needs. Edwards will be chief executive officer and dean at a satellite / branch of Florida State University at Panama City Florida. Florida State University at Tallahassee was the locus for her Ph.D. so her alma mater came calling, and who can resist that?



March 2015 through September 2015

The second annual “Women Who Shaped Texas Tech” exhibit is on display in the Coronelli Rotunda Gallery of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University. The exhibit, as part of Women’s History Month, honors those who have made lasting impressions on the University’s history.

Featured this year are Lucille S. Graves, the first African-American student enrolled at Texas Tech; Ophelia Powell-Malone, the first African-American student to graduate with a bachelor’s degree; Faye Bumpass, a nationally known author of bilingual education textbooks who became one of the first female Horn Professors at Texas Tech; Mary Jeanne van Appledorn, a Horn Professor who taught at Tech for more than 50 years; and Mina Wolf Lamb, who helped established the federally funded Women, Infants and Children (WIC) supplemental food program at the Lubbock Children’s Health Clinic where she had volunteered for 18 years as a teacher of nutrition.

Through hard work and forward thinking, the women featured in this exhibit helped Texas Tech become and remain an institution dedicated to providing an excellent education for women.

April 16 – July 15, 2015
Galleries 2 & 3 Texas Tech Museum

The annual juried exhibition of the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies presents work from artists who are members of at least one of twelve regional watercolor societies, including the Arizona Watercolor Association, Colorado Watercolor Society, Idaho Watercolor Society, Nevada Watercolor Society, San Diego Watercolor Society, Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild, Southwestern Watercolor Society, Texas Watercolor Society, Utah Watercolor Society, Watercolor Society of Oregon, and the West Texas Watercolor Society. The Western Federation was founded in 1974 and held its first show in 1976.

The 2015 juror, Linda Baker, selected works by ninety-six artists from among a combined membership in the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies of more than 5,000 artists. The works are in a variety of water-based media including, for example, casein, gouache, tempera, acrylic and transparent watercolor.

This exhibition has been organized by the West Texas Watercolor Society and has been made possible in part through a grant from the city of Lubbock as recommended by Civic Lubbock, Inc. The project is also supported in part by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts.

Thursday – Saturday 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
901 17th Street 806.470.9996

Peachtree Gallery is a small gallery located in the historic downtown of Lubbock, Texas.

David Bondt, Jordan Brown, Stacy Brunsen, Micah Cash, Jason Cytacki, Jimmy Dyer, Betsy Edwards, John Franklin, Dolan Geiman, Evan Hawley, Kathy Hinson, Ronda Ivy, Dyan Newton, Sarah Otts, Liz Potter, Nick Ryan, Lorelei Skizenta, Alyssa Underwood, Cecelia Weldon.

Peachtree Gallery, established in June 2013, is a small commercial art gallery located in the historic downtown Depot District in Lubbock, Texas.  The mission of our space is a dedication to creating a sense of welcome and invitation in a fine art gallery setting.  It is meant to be an establishment where both artist and collector feels represented, well cared for, and, most importantly to our vision, a place where both parties feel at home and understood.   Our dream is to be space that inspires and encourages understanding and growth in the Lubbock art community.


Rinker Buck, The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey (Simon & Schuster June 30, 2015 hardcover August 18, 2015 e-book) at 464 pages is an account of the author’s hitching up a mule team to a wagon and following the Trail from east of Fort Leavenworth Kansas to Baker City Oregon. Because it’s not all open country today, that must have been a challenge. Don’t you imagine how that wagon looked coming through midwest and western towns and rural roadways? And how many teenage boys considered packing their toothbrush and Swiss Army knife and curling up under the tarp in the wagon as a stowaway? releases on June 30 hardcover $20.52 e-book releases August 18 $15. The first substantial and respected account of that journey is

Francis Parkman, The Oregon Trail: Sketches of Prairie and Rocky Mountain Life (A. L. Burt Co 1847 and many revised and later editions) free online at Project Gutenberg or at Lubbock Public Library 978.02 P2490 or Texas Tech Library F592.P24 (1910 edition)

Once a 4-6 month journey through the future states of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon over 2,000 miles, by 1841-1869 it was the main passage route west, then the Union Pacific Railroad opened in 1869, and the Northern Pacific Railroad opened in 1883 to Portland Oregon, and use of the Trail disappeared into history.


Richard Schulman, Portraits of the New Architecture 2 (Assouline Publishing 2015) hardcover 170 pages is a thrilling coffee table book to go alongside his initial book by this title in 2004. Schulman is a respected photographer.


Attended a Thursday evening event Junior’s Listening Room at Caprock Winery and can recommend it to you. Junior Vasquez agreed with the Winery to host a two hour musical event each Thursday evening, free to the public due to corporate sponsors for the series, and the Winery offers discounted prices on a good selection of glasses and bottles of wine, and one or more food trucks is on site for folks to eat in the Summer evening on the patio with a glass of vino in hand. The event is 6:00 – 9:00 pm, the food trucks dispense from 6:00 – 8:00 pm and the music is 7:00 – 9:00 pm. The music is performed indoors in the handsome barrel room, air conditioned comfort. The eating is done in the main outdoor patio or a side patio or the Winery lobby. I noticed that many people enjoyed the patio wine and dine so much that they never quite got to the barrel room for the music. Summer evenings are tantalizingly delicious. Junior was off on a gig somewhere so Curtis Peoples hosted the musical event and introduced Jerry Serrano for a 45 minute set and then Danny Cadra for another 45 minute set.


Teresita Fernandez, Cuban-American refractory metals artist, has a temporary art installation in Madison Square Park New York City titled Fata Morgana (2015) that means an optical phenomenon experienced as a narrow band of light above the horizon She is a Brooklyn based artist The piece at Madison Square Park is up April 30, 2015 – January 10, 2016 and then it comes down, an overhead refractive steel and mirrors cutout above some of the 50,000 people who traverse the square and park daily. The interaction of fragmented and refracted light and the moving people beneath it is fascinating.

Madison Square Park in Manhattan is named for James Madison the fourth president of the United States and a major co-author of the U.S. Constitution. The Park is bounded by 5th Avenue on the west, a diagonal by Broadway, on the north by East 26th Street, on the south by East 23rd Street, on the east by Madison Avenue. The Flatiron Building is immediately to the southwest and gives rise to the Flatiron District name for the area.


Here is a bit of American colonial history from the British point of view.,_Lord_North Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford was prime minister of the United Kingdom 1770-1782.

Most of North’s government was focused first on the growing problems with the American colonies and later on conducting the American War of Independence thatbroke out in 1775, beginning with the Battle of Lexington. Following the Boston Tea Partyin 1773 Lord North proposed a number of legislative measures that were supposed to punish the Bostonians. These measures were known as the Coercive Acts in Great Britain, while dubbed the Intolerable Actsin the colonies. By shutting down the Boston government and cutting off trade, he hoped it would keep the peace and dispirit the rebellious colonists. Instead, the acts further inflamed Massachusetts and the other colonies, eventually resulting in open war.

North deferred overall strategy of the war to his key subordinates Lord George Germainand the Earl of Sandwich. Despite a series of victories and the capture of New York and Philadelphiathe British were unable to secure a decisive victory. In 1778 the French allied themselves with the American rebels, and Spain joined the war in 1779 as an ally of France, followed by the Dutch Republicin 1780. The British found themselves fighting a global war on four continents without a single ally.

After 1778 the British switched the focus of their efforts to the defense of the West Indies, as its sugar wealth made that area much more immediately valuable to Great Britain than the thirteen colonies. In 1779 Great Britain was faced with the prospect of a major Franco-Spanish invasion but the Armada of 1779 was ultimately a failure. Several peace initiatives fell through, and an attempt by Richard Cumberland to negotiate a separate peace with Spain ended in frustration. The country’s problems were added to by the First League of Armed Neutrality, which was formed to counter the British blockade strategy, and threatened British naval supplies from the Baltic Sea. With severe manpower shortages, North’s government passed an act abandoning previous statutes placing restrictions on Catholics serving in the military. This provoked an upsurge of anti-Catholic feelings and the formation of the Protestant Association leading to the Gordon Riots in London in June 1780. For around a week the city was controlled by a mob until the military was called out and martial law was imposed. In spite of these problems Great Britain’s fortunes in the war in America had temporarily improved, following the failure of a Franco-American attack on Newport and the prosecution of a southern strategy that saw Great Britain capture the port of Charleston South Carolina and its garrison.

During 1780 and 1781 the North government gained strength in the House of Commons. In an attempt to end the war he proposed the Conciliation Plan, in which he promised that Great Britain would eliminate all disagreeable acts if the colonies ended the war. The colonies rejected the plan, as their goal had become full independence.
North holds the dubious distinction of being the first British Prime Minister to be forced out of office by a motion of no confidence, resigning on March 20, 1782 on account of the British defeat at Yorktown Virginia the year before.
This short but accurate precis proves once again that context is significant in all human events, especially an uprising rebellion or revolution, and that the perspective of some people on the ground can be quite limited and un-representative of the perspectives of many other people. What is sad is that some historians later on will consciously ignore so many other perspectives than the one they choose to present in their history manuscript, and thereby misrepresent the event about which they speak. Perhaps I should have said, misrepresent the totality of the event about which they speak.
The Lubbock Area Texas Tech Art Alumni Exhibition features works by Texas Tech University School of Art alumni who continue their artistic practice in the West Texas region. It showcases a diverse range of media and content while bringing together a group of artists at various stages in their post-Texas Tech careers. The exhibition will be on view from Saturday, June 13th – Saturday, July 25th at the School of Art Building.

Art Building Gallery hours are 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and by appointment on weekends. The Art Building is located at 3010 18th Street near the corner of 18th Street and Flint Avenue. On Monday through Friday paid parking is available to the public on the fourth floor of the Flint Avenue Parking Facility. Parking is free on weekends. Admission is free.

The opening reception at which some of the artists may be present is Saturday June 13, 2015 from 6:00 – 9:00 pm.


New plays read [not acted or performed, but read] by Texas Tech University theatre students at the Summer Westwind Performance Laboratories occur at 7:00 pm at the Maedgen Laboratory Theatre west entrance 2812 18th Street and admission is free on Friday June 12 Sometimes Fire by Eva Suter, Friday June 19 Rosebud by Brian Bauman, and Friday June 26 The Dum Dums by Joshua Conkel. The public is invited.


Short independently produced films, twenty-five of them, will be broadcast TV-PBS June 15 – July 17 but you may watch them online at PBS Online Film Festival anytime you wish


Saturday June 13 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm is the sixth annual Butterfly and Ladybug Release at Lubbock Garden & Arts Center 4215 University Avenue co-hosted by Lubbock Memorial Arboretum and Hodges Community Center. phone for more information 806-767-3724. All ages enjoy this free event.

The Trail of the Living Water in the Llano Estacado

7 Jun

The Trail of the Living Water in the Llano Estacado of the Panhandle South Plains of northwest Texas by David Cummins for Questers May 21, 2015

Major rivers of Texas

Sabine River 360 miles in Texas, Neches River 416 miles, Trinity River 710 miles, Brazos River 840 miles, Colorado River 600 miles, Pecos River 926 miles most in New Mexico, Rio Grande River 1,250 miles, Canadian River 200 miles in Texas, Red River 600 miles in Texas.

Colorado River of Texas rises in southeast Dawson County near the hamlet of Midway and flows east into south Borden County and east into south Scurry County where the first dam on the Colorado creates a reservoir that is Lake J.B. Thomas that extends west into Borden County, after which the Colorado River flows south into Mitchell County near Colorado City Texas and on southeast toward central Texas and the capital Austin. Where does it rise?

Sulphur Springs Draw leaves New Mexico toward Plains Texas in Yoakum County, then to Wellman Texas in Terry County, then to Welch Texas and Lamesa Texas in Dawson County, then to Gold Creek that flows into the Colorado River in southeast Dawson County.

However, Sulphur Springs Draw continues south and converges with McKenzie Draw, Seminole Draw, Wardswell Draw and Monument Draw [all rising in New Mexico] to form Mustang Draw in Martin County that continues to the southeast and enters Beals Creek in Howard County four miles west of Big Spring Texas that flows east into the Colorado River in south Mitchell County. The next reservoir is Lake E.V. Spence immediately west of the town of Robert Lee Texas.

Thus the watershed basin from which the Colorado River of Texas rises, begins in New Mexico and extends in the Llano Estacado of West Texas through this series of Draws to flow into the Colorado River at two places, southeast Dawson County and south Mitchell County.

Captain Marcy is the man who explored West Texas and the high plains searching for the headwaters of the Canadian (1849) and Red River (1852) and Brazos and Wichita Rivers (1854) including the main fork of the Red River that runs through Palo Duro Canyon. He found the headwaters of the Red River in 1852 and published his findings Randolph Marcy, Exploration of the Red River of Louisiana in the year 1852, Texas Tech University Southwest Collection SPL22.1 M322 R312 (US Gov Doc 1853)

No fewer than 25 items in the Texas Tech Library relate to the explorations of Captain Randolph Marcy in the Southwest, following his service in the War of 1846 with Mexico and preceding his service in the Civil War in 1861. He explored the headwaters of the Canadian and the Red River and the Brazos River so he definitely traversed the South Plains and recorded the experience. His writings were studied by Colonel Ranald Mackenzie during the Red River War of 1871-1875.
Captain Randolph B. Marcy lit out from Fort Smith Arkansas in his 1849 expedition to trace the course of the Canadian River. Today we know it rises in far southern Colorado on the east side of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, flows south into New Mexico west of Raton, through a canyon near Springer, and then east across New Mexico forming the northern border of the Llano Estacado through the panhandle of Texas and then across Oklahoma until it empties into the Arkansas River at the Robert S. Kerr Reservoir on the Arkansas River, a total of 906 miles. Marcy traced its course in Oklahoma Territory and in Texas and some of New Mexico Territory and ended his exploration at Santa Fe [thus establishing the Marcy Trail from Fort Smith to Santa Fe] where he resupplied and then lit out across the Llano Estacado on its western border following the Pecos River southward to the edge of the Edwards Plateau at Castle Gap between the present towns of Crane and McCamey on the historic San Antonio-El Paso Road or Southern Emigrant Trail, and then locating the sandhills near Monahans and a large spring at Big Spring before turning north at the easterly escarpment of the Llano Estacado, thus circumnavigating the Llano Estacado and returning to Fort Smith.

The Canadian River was known before 1849 due to an expedition by US Army Lieutenants James William Abert and William G. Peck in 1845, and before that by an expedition by Major Stephen Long in 1820 barely making it back to Fort Smith. Long’s harrowing return, including eating the meat of their horses, and report are the source of maps referring to the Llano Estacado and beyond on the high plains as “The Great American Desert”.

John Miller Morris, El Llano Estacado: Exploration and Imagination on the High Plains of Texas and New Mexico, 1536-1860 (Texas State Historical Association 1997) Lubbock Public Library 976.48 M876L Texas Tech Library F392.L63 M67


Captain Randolph B. Marcy US Army Corps of Engineers expedition of 1852 purpose was to trace the Red River of Louisiana to its source or headwaters. He was based at Fort Smith Arkansas but he started this expedition at Cache Creek near present Fort Sill Oklahoma, entered Wheeler County Texas on June 10, camped on June 12 where Fort Elliott was later located at Old Mobeetie, and entered Gray County on June 14. He camped near the present town of Lefors on June 16 at the head of the North Fork of the Red River. Marcy knew the Canadian River was to the north because he had visited it in 1849, so he traveled 25 miles north and found the Canadian, now assured that it was a distinct separate river. He returned south to the North Fork of the Red and traveled farther south to the Salt Fork of the Red River. He found a nearby stream of fresh water and named it McClellan Creek for his deputy George McClellan who would later become his son in-law and a Civil War general. A marker now exists several miles south of Pampa on Texas State Highway SH 70. On July 1 Marcy reached the main fork or Prairie Dog Fork [later named Prairie Dog Town Fork] of the Red River that flows southeast near contemporary Estelline and north of Childress where the Red River begins to form the northern boundary of Texas and southern boundary of Oklahoma, an amazing meandering river that runs from the Texas panhandle 1,222 miles before emptying into the Mississippi River [through the Atchafalaya] navigable below Shreveport Louisiana.
From a West Texas perspective the river system to the south of the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River is the Pease River that flows past contemporary Copper Breaks State Park and the town of Vernon and empties into the Red River. The Roaring Springs Ranch Club is at the springs that is the headwaters of the Pease River ]. South of that is the Wichita River that flows through Wichita Falls and empties into the Red River.

South of that is the Brazos River system that takes a southern turn and flows through central Texas to the Gulf Coast. South of that is the Colorado River that rises in Dawson County east of Lamesa and in southern Mitchell County and flows southeast into central Texas, the capital at Austin, and on to the Gulf Coast at Matagorda Bay
Nine years later Captain Marcy would be General Marcy during the Civil War.
Kenneth F. Neighbors, The Marcy-Neighbors Exploration of the Headwaters of the Brazos and Wichita Rivers in 1854 (reprinted in Panhandle Plains Historical Review volume 27 in 1954) $29 and (reprinted 1956) ABE Books very good condition $15. US Army Major Robert S. Neighbors was the United States Supervising Agent for Texas Indian Affairs from 1853. He was murdered at Fort Belknap on September 14, 1859 by Edward Cornett one of many who thought of people like Neighbors as detestable “Indian lovers”. His murder helped the Texas legislature terminate the Indian reservation experiment in Texas and move them in 1859 to Indian Territory next to Oklahoma Territory north of the Red River. Records of the Marcy Expedition of 1852 are displayed at White Deer Land Museum in Pampa Texas and here is background for the historical marker referred to above
The town of Lefors in Gray County and headwaters of the North Fork of the Red River would become famous twenty years after Marcy camped there, when Colonel Ranald Mackenzie successfully led the US Army Fourth Cavalry against Comanche at that site on September 29, 1872
Tierra Blanca = white land, that is the source of the name of the museum, although the town of White Deer on White Deer Creek between Pampa and Panhandle is perhaps the more recent and direct cause for naming the museum, derived from both tierra blanca and a white deer. The town White Deer has a statuary of a white deer right on Main Street US Highway 60.
Tierra Blanca Creek rises in Curry County New Mexico and extends east by Hereford and Umbarger [forming Buffalo Lake at Umbarger Dam (1937) as part of the Tierra Blanca Water Conservation Project and the adjacent Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge]

and where Tierra Blanca Creek joins Palo Duro Creek east of the town of Canyon is the beginning of the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River That location is also the founding of the T Anchor Ranch in 1877 by Leigh R. Dyer and his brother Walter Dyer who cut cedar/juniper logs in the canyons and built a two room log cabin with a breezeway between the rooms to use for ranch headquarters. That cabin is now removed (1975) to the lawn north of Panhandle Plains Historical Museum on the campus of West Texas A&M University in Canyon Texas and remains there as a historical artifact in the permanent collection of the Museum. and here is a picture of the cabin It is regarded as the oldest structure in the Panhandle built by Anglo persons.
Intensive agricultural capture of water and drought conditions mean that Buffalo Lake is often dry and the course of the Tierra Blanca Creek is hard to discern west of Hereford to and beyond to the state boundary. We must trust the hydrologists who say it rises in Curry County New Mexico and flows beneath the surface. Las Escarbadas (1886) was a division headquarters building for the XIT Ranch 35 miles west of Hereford astride Tierra Blanca Creek or Draw and is now reconstructed (1977) on the site of the National Ranching Heritage Center in Lubbock. Las Escarbadas means the scrapings, and refers to comancheros having come to this place where they [having learned from the Indians] scraped at the apparently dry draw and were repeatedly able to yield fresh potable water, so they would set up their trade goods and wait for the Indians.

Tule Creek east of Tulia Texas runs into Tule Canyon that runs into Palo Duro Canyon and feeds the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River. It was dammed at Tule Canyon by Mackenzie Dam (1974) in Briscoe County to form Mackenzie Reservoir, an urban water supply for Silverton, Tulia, Floydada and Lockney. It was in Tule Canyon that Colonel Mackenzie had herded the remuda of Comanche horses and slaughtered them in 1874 to destroy the Comanche ability to live independently on the plains.

North Tule Draw and Middle Tule Draw rise in northeastern Castro County and South Tule Draw rises near Nazareth Texas and they converge three miles east of Tulia Texas to form Tule Creek.
Rio Blanco = White River but any river can be masculine Blanco or feminine Blanca. The town of Blanco Texas is white and masculine. Tierra Blanca Creek or White Land Creek is feminine. Rita = small river. Cañon Blanco = Blanco Canyon or White Canyon
Rio Colorado = river of red color, is the source of the name of the Red River, in French “Riviere Rouge” as it was and is called in Louisiana. Note bene: there are several red rivers, this one often referred to as the Red River of the South or Red River of Texas, while the Red River of the North flows north to and through Manitoba to an Arctic Bay at the town of Churchill, and forms the boundary between two states Minnesota and North Dakota.
Within the city limits of Lubbock the parks department has constructed a series of narrow lakes partly within Yellow House Draw and partly within Yellow House Canyon, collectively known as Jim Bertram Canyon Lakes System consisting of six lakes from northwest to southeast Conquistador Lake, Llano Estacado Lake, Comancheria [land of the Comanche] Lake, Vaquero Lake, Canyon Lake, and Dunbar Historical Lake. Vaquero Lake and Canyon Lake lay within Mackenzie Park and it is at Vaquero Lake where Blackwater Draw and Yellowhouse Draw converge. The Canyon Lakes offer scenic views and recreational opportunities, and they also function as an essential part of Lubbock’s wastewater disposal system. First, the city applies treated wastewater to crops at the Lubbock Land Application Site – a 6,000-acre (24 km2) site located east of the City of Lubbock. Here 31 center pivot sprinkler systems are used to irrigate crops with 13 million gallons of treated effluent per day. The soils and sediments of the Land Application Site act as filters as the treated wastewater percolates through the soil. To minimize contamination of the Ogallala Aquifer, groundwater is then pumped from beneath the Land Application Site to Canyon Lakes at Conquistador Lake where the water flows from one lake to the next and eventually into Yellow House Canyon, forming the North Fork of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River.

Double Mountains is about 12 miles west of the town of Aspermont in Stonewall County. The Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River runs easterly south of Double Mountains, and the Salt Fork of the Brazos River runs easterly north of Double Mountains. Where they converge about 15 miles east of Aspermont is where the Brazos River begins. The Salt Fork rises in the escarpment of the Caprock in south Crosby County. Double Mountains was long a feature on the Dennis Ranch but then Slinging Sammy Baugh purchased it as Double Mountain Ranch. Sammy Baugh 1914-2008 died in a nursing home in Rotan Texas. He played college football at Texas Christian University and professional football at Washington DC Redskins 1937-1952. The Ranch is now a 20,000 acre cow-calf operation managed by David Baugh, Sammy’s son.

The Clear Fork of the Brazos River rises in Scurry County near Hermleigh and extends a long distance through the Rolling Plains country and merges into the Brazos River south of Graham Texas. Here is a contemporary account of a 32 day canoe trip on the Clear Fork traversing 230 miles from near Fort Phantom Hill north of Abilene Texas ending at Possum Kingdom Lake Historic Fort Griffin was on the Clear Fork and was the headquarters along with Camp Cooper for Colonel Ranald Mackenzie’s cavalry that conducted the Red River War against the Quahadi [Antelope] Comanche 1871-1874 but some of that war was fought in the Brazos River watershed such as the Battle of Blanco Canyon in 1871.

Runningwater Draw rises in New Mexico and runs east to Bovina Texas and on east to Plainview where it becomes White River and runs through Blanco Canyon east of Crosbyton and farther southeast where it is dammed to form White River Lake, a recreational opportunity and water supply for the towns of Spur, Post, Ralls and Crosbyton. White River continues and merges into the Salt Fork of the Brazos River that converges with the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River in east Stonewall County east of Aspermont Texas to commence the Brazos River on its flow to the Gulf of Mexico. Plainview Country Club is situated in Runningwater Draw!club-house/cq4e so the vistas at the golf course are significant for cogitating about early explorations and settlement of the area. Runningwater Draw Park is both west and east of the golf course and there is a bicycling and walking trail in the park. As one drives east southeast from Plainview to Lockney and Floydada on US Highway 70 Runningwater Draw and the White River are to the south.

This is Yellowhouse Draw at Lubbock Lake Landmark Historical Site looking south to Bob Nash Interpretive Center

This is Yellowhouse Draw in west Bailey County

In tracing the meandering Yellowhouse Draw from Lubbock back to its Portales Valley New Mexico outcropping and “Clovis Man” culture beginnings, include Yellow Lake [straddles Hockley and Lamb County], Illusion Lake, Bull Lake [Lamb County], Silver Lake [originally known as Laguna Rica or Rich Lagoon][straddles Cochran and Hockley Counties] , Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge lakes [including Upper Goose Lake, Lower Goose Lake, Upper White Lake, Lower White Lake and Lower Paul’s Lake], Baileyboro Lake, Coyote Lake [all in Bailey County, Texas], and Salt Lake, and Little Salt Lake within Grulla National Wildlife Refuge southeast of Portales New Mexico. Grulla means crane in Spanish.

My Texas Atlas & Gazatteer (6th ed. DeLorme Publishing Co 2005) topographic map supports that. Blackwater Draw is north of all the above skirting the south side of Muleshoe Texas. The Blackwater Draw archeology site where Clovis Man artifacts were discovered is seven miles northeast of the city of Portales and is operated by Eastern New Mexico State University.
La Pista [or Punta] de Agua Vida = The Trail of the Living Water. As Indians used it, then comancheros trading with the Indians used it, then US Army explorations like The Mackenzie Trail used it, and economic caravans like the Fort Sumner Trail from Colorado City Texas to Fort Sumner New Mexico Territory. pista=trail or track punta=tip or noticeable protrusion vida=life agua=water. Result of the reference is to indicate water sources that were not continuous rivers or creeks, but just occasional outcroppings of water like a spring at a specific location, the word punta might be used rather than pista, and either one loosely translated meant The Trail of the Living Water.

Where is Monument Lake in southern Bailey County? Since it’s not on maps it’s likely that a rancher impounded water that intermittently gushed forth out of a spring, so the rancher piped it down into the draw and closed the draw at an eastern end with earthworks, and derived a natural rather than metal water tank for cattle. An outflow pipe would take water when the “lake” was full or unused and inject it back into the draw about five feet deep to percolate down into the subterranean water stream. Hockley County. The XIT expanded to include the northern third of Hockley County; meanwhile, other sections of county land were bought by such ranchers as F. G. Oxsheer (1884), David M. Devitt (1885), John Gordon (1886), and the Snyder brothers, Dudley H. and John W. (1885), who sold to Isaac L. Elwood; Ellwood bought the Spade Ranch (1889). C.C. Slaughter acquired county land in 1897. Virtually all of Hockley County was owned by these few men by the 1890s. There were no census returns for Hockley County until 1900, when forty-four people were found living in the area. That year five ranches, encompassing almost 354,000 acres, were reported in the county; about 15,700 cattle were counted in the area that year. No crops were reported.

The first settlers interested in small-scale ranching or farming were homesteaders who established themselves on properties within a strip of land overlooked in the county’s first survey (and consequently not included within the huge ranches). This strip, varying in width from three-fourths of a mile to two miles, extended the entire length of the county’s southern border. Jim Jarrott encouraged settlement there between 1901 and 1903. The Yellow House section of the XIT, consisting of 235,858 acres in Hockley County and three adjacent counties, was sold to George W. Littlefield in 1901; in 1912, Littlefield began selling farm acreage. Despite this limited burst of settlement in the county, diversified economic development and more significant population growth were delayed until the 1920s, when the big ranchers began selling lands for agricultural uses. As late as 1920, only 137 people lived in the county, and only 3,235 acres was classified as improved. Nevertheless, by this time county residents wanted their own county government. The county was organized in 1921; Hockley City won over Ropesville in the county-seat contest.

The settlement of the county accelerated during the 1920s, encouraged by the construction of two branches of the Santa Fe Railroad in the early 1920s-one crossing east to west, the other crossing the southeast corner of the county. Hockley City, where the Littlefield Lands Company sold 464 farm tracts between 1912 and 1920, was renamed Levelland in 1922; the Slaughter heirs began selling farmland in the northwestern part of the country near Whiteface in 1924. Thousands of settlers moved into the county to establish new farms during this period. The number of farms in the county grew from 18 in 1920 to 279 in 1925 and 1,344 in 1929. Most of the newcomers grew cotton. Only eighty-seven acres in the county had been planted in cotton in 1920, but by 1929 cotton culture occupied more than 95,000 acres of county land. Corn culture also expanded quickly during this period, so that by 1929 about 8,300 acres in the county was planted in that staple. In all, cultivated land in the county totaled almost 175,000 acres by 1929. The county’s growing population mirrored this economic expansion: by 1930 the population was 9,298.

The Great Depression of the 1930s produced difficult times in Hockley County, as it did elsewhere. Virtually all of the land previously sold to prospective farmers by the Slaughter heirs, for example, was repossessed in 1930 and 1931. Nevertheless the number of farms in the county grew significantly during this period as the cotton boom continued and more land was put into cultivation. By 1939, 1,506 farms had been established in Hockley County. More than 106,000 acres was planted in cotton that year, and almost another 150,000 in sorghum; cultivated land totaled more than 266,000 acres. The economy also received a boost in 1937, when oil was discovered in the county. A total of almost 68,000 barrels of crude was pumped from county lands in 1938. The population of the county increased by almost 25 per cent during the 1930s, to reach 12,693 by 1940. The economy grew even more rapidly in the 1940s with the expansion of irrigation and the substantial production of oil at Sundown and other fields. The county pumped more than 14,287,000 barrels of crude in 1944 and more than 20,818,000 in 1948; by 1950 there were 3,000 producing oil wells in Hockley County.

Good photos of West Texas venues at

Red River Watershed

Yellow House Draw and see Mapcarta

Blackwater Draw

Double Mountain Fork of Brazos River in Fisher County

Cochran County Texas towns are Morton, the county seat, Bledsoe southwest of Morton near the New Mexico border on FM 769, and Whiteface southeast of Morton on SH 114. Morton is at the junction of Texas SH 114 [east-west] and SH 214 [north-south]. Texas Last Frontier Museum (2003) in Morton is located in a former Masonic Temple (1957) building. What is the significance of the phrase Last Frontier and how did Morton gain its name?

Christopher C. Slaughter was a cattle baron whose Lazy S Ranch (1898) 246,699 acres at the end of the 19th century, traversed almost all of Cochran County and more land. George Washington Littlefield purchased 238,585 acres from the XIT Ranch in 1901 and a small portion of it was in Cochran County. Slaughter died in 1919 and his heirs dissolved the cattle company in 1921 into small enough tracts that they could be sold either as family ranches or family farms. Minnie Slaughter Veal, his eldest daughter, hired a land agent to sell some of her property and his name was Morton Smith. He founded the town in 1923 and named it for himself. His land agency office was on the east side of the town square. Morton was incorporated in 1933 and elected its first mayor. Cochran County was one of the last areas in Texas to which a person or family could emigrate and “break out” new land. It was regarded as The Last Frontier. The western boundary of the county is the New Mexico border. Morton population is 2,006 as of the 2010 census, about 61% Hispanic, 33% Anglo, 4% African-American. Cochran County population 1890-zero, 1900-25, 1920-67, 1930-1,963, 1960-6,417, 1970-5,326, and 2010-3,127 so it’s been declining since 1960.

Do not confuse Christopher C. Slaughter’s Lazy S Ranch with his younger brother John B. Slaughter’s U Lazy S Ranch headquartered in Post Texas, Garza County, now owned by the John F. Lott family Christopher C. Slaughter had four younger brothers John, Will, Pete and Mace all in the cattle business at one time or another. Christopher C. Slaughter was often known as “Lum” or “C.C.” or “Colonel” and can be distinguished in that way. Christopher C. Slaughter’s Long S Ranch (1877) headquartered in Big Spring Texas eventually extended north to the Plainview Texas area and included a ranch near present Lubbock called the Whiteface Ranch. He was known for cattle breeding, introducing short horn cattle to replace the indigenous longhorn and then breeding shorthorns with Hereford cattle to produce the heaviest cattle sent to market from Texas, and the most expensive, making him a fortune.

Christopher C. Slaughter bought his Lazy S Ranch land in 1898 from the dissolving XIT Ranch that included in 1885 nearly the entire Cochran County area, the southern-most division of seven divisions of the XIT called Las Casas Amarillas or The Yellow Houses [a land feature in northwest Hockley County and southwest Lamb County on a bluff above Yellow Lake that looked to Coronado and his men in 1541 as if it were a Spanish apartment house so he named it Las Casas Amarillas] and from 1887 it was a breeding range for the XIT. Thus the Cochran County land was Comanche domain or owned by XIT Ranch or later by Christopher C. Slaughter until it was broken up into tracts for sale in 1921 as “Last Frontier” land for purchase and settlement.

One can keep all these cattlemen of yore straight by consulting William Joseph Elliot, The Spurs (Texas Spur 1939) Texas Tech Library Southwest Collection TEX 51.3 S772E, reprinted W. J. “Scotch Bill” Elliot, The Spurs (Texas State House Press 2009) hardcover $22.25.

W.J. Elliot, a native of Scotland, arrived April 28, 1888 at the headquarters of the Espuela [Spanish for Spur] Land and Cattle Company (1884) to become the ranch bookkeeper. He helped survey the town of Espuela [Spur] (1891) and was manager of the general store and postmaster into 1910. The collection of the Spur-Dickens County Museum at 327 Burlington Avenue, Spur Texas 79370 phone 806-294-5401 tells his story and he tells the story of cattlemen from experiences with them. The short version of the Spur Ranch is that it was never profitable for its English and Scottish investors and was sold in 1906 to an American land syndicate that would gradually reduce the cattle herd, terminating it in 1915. The syndicate sold parcels and tracts of land for family ranches and farms, completing that process by 1938 when author Elliot’s book would be published. William Curry Holden, The Espuela Land and Cattle Company: A Study of a Foreign-Owned Ranch in Texas (Texas State Historical Association 1970) ABE Books good condition $14.41, see also J.W. Williams, The Big Ranch Country (Double Mountain Books Series) (Texas Tech University Press 1999) paperback $15.85

John and Bette Hope of Levelland, Jim Hogue, and Dorothy Barker on behalf of the Hockley and Cochran Counties Historical Commissions, organized and conducted several bus tours in September called The Last Frontier Ranch Heritage Tour, the sixth annual was held on September 25, 2010 I was privileged to attend and enjoyed a meal at the C.C. Slaughter Lazy S Ranch headquarters building three miles southwest of Morton. The 2011 tour extended to Zavala Camp [a cowboy camp in Hockley County for partners Fountain Goodlet Oxsheer and C.C. Slaughter], L7 Ranch in Terry County, T Bar Ranch in Lynn County, Double Lakes and Tahoka Lake in Lynn County, and the Meadow and Ropesvile Texas communities. F. G. Oxsheer by 1884 operated a large ranch in Hockley County and was often a partner rather than a competitor with Slaughter.

The Buffalo Soldier Expedition of 1877 occurred because, although the Comanche were forced onto the Indian Territory [current Oklahoma] reservation in 1875, there were still an occasional Comanche hunting/raiding party [label depends on one’s perspective] that would leave the reservation and venture out onto the Llano Estacado. Company A of 10th U.S. Army Cavalry under the command of Captain Nicholas Nolan, was searching for such a hunting/raiding party when the troops became lost and disoriented, had used up their water supplies, and were without access to water for 86 hours. Four troopers and one Anglo buffalo hunter died. There are four gravestones in the Morton Memorial Cemetery [north of town on SH 114] for those African-American soldiers John H. Bonds, John T. Gordon, John Isaacs and Isaac Derwin. Deeper into the Cemetery to the west is a stone marker for the Comanche who inhabited this area before Anglo settlement. Paul H. Carlson, The Buffalo Soldier Tragedy of 1877 (Texas A&M University Press 2003) Texas Tech Library E99.C85 C36, ABE Books new $14.79 incl s&h, Lubbock Public Library 976.4 CARL Adult Nonfiction

South of the Last Frontier Museum is the Quanah Parker Trail Arrow (installed March 15, 2013) crafted by metal sculptor Charles A. Smith of 290 FM Road 1730 Wilson TX 79381-2304 in his studio in far north Lynn County near the Lubbock County line. Next to the Arrow is Minnie Veal School (1922) named for the eldest daughter of the legendary cattle rancher in the county.

In the south part of Morton is Strickland Park with a man-made pond, the site of an annual Fireworks Display on July 4 conducted by the Volunteer Fire Department. Don’t look for the weekly newspaper The Morton Tribune as it folded about 2011 and the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal newspaper is distributed daily in Morton and throughout the county. Levelland & Hockley County News-Press weekly newspaper also serves the Morton area. The Morton High School “Indians” play sports with black/gold colors accented by white uniforms.

Leave Morton going south on SH 214 just two miles and west on SH 1169 for a half mile to the historic C.C. Slaughter Lazy S Ranch headquarters building that is rent-able as an event center The metal Historical Marker says Upwards of 246,669 acres of Cochran and Hockley county lands. Col. C. C. Slaughter – a leader in banking, ranching and religious life in Texas – purchased land 1898-1901. First headquarters was a half-dugout. In 1915, C. C. Slaughter Cattle Company, Inc. brought men from Mexico to build this adobe and concrete quadrangle, on order of a Spanish hacienda. This was one of finest Texas ranch buildings of its era. Seventeen miles south of Morton on SH 214 and then 2.5 miles west on FM 1585 is Old Surratt Territory Ranch where the marker says Once representative of the late-19th century settlement and ranching history of the vast grasslands of the Texas Panhandle. Marshall Surratt (1849-1927), an East Texas native who settled in Waco and became a prominent attorney and district judge, purchased the 53 sections of land in 1885. Although the territory was known by his name, Jude Surratt never lived in Cochran County; he leased the acreage to the Jumbo Cattle Company. Operated by brothers Nick and John Beal and John Beal’s brother-in-law, F. G. Oxsheer, the Jumbo was one of a number of large ranching operations, including those owned by such famous cattlemen as C. C. Slaughter and George Littlefield, that thrived despite several years of winter blizzards and summer droughts. Wells and windmills were located throughout the Surratt Territory to provide reliable water sources for the herds of cattle roaming its plains. The early history of Cochran County settlement is the history of its ranching. The census of 1890 revealed no permanent residents; in 1900 ranchers working in the county accounted for its population of 25, and by 1920 the figure had risen to 67. As free range ranching gave way to fenced pastures of large syndicates and smaller family farms and ranches, the once vast ranch lands were divided. These smaller operations resulted in a division of lands and a surge in population, as reflected by the 1930 census figure of 1,963. Purchased by a succession of absentee landowners after 1900, the Surratt Territory remained intact until 1953.

If you want to visit Bledsoe travel south of Morton eight miles on SH 214 and west on FM 769 for 13 miles to the town of Bledsoe, a South Plains & Santa Fe Railway Company town and cattle shipping center one mile from the New Mexico border. The line opened in 1925.

Travel east on FM 769 and SH 125 to Whiteface, formerly a cattle shipping center but now an oil and gas well operations hub, that includes the Whiteface Historical Museum located in the former Whiteface Hotel (1926). The South Plains & Santa Fe Railway Co completed a line west of Lubbock to Whiteface, Lehman and Bledsoe in Cochran County in 1925. The line from Whiteface to Bledsoe was abandoned in 1983 and the depot at Bledsoe was moved to Lubbock as an artifact in 1973 by Gene Hemmle and located at 6105 19th Street with a historical marker out front.  The history of Whiteface is here including the first producing oil well in the county 1936 on the Duggan Ranch south of Whiteface. Cal Farley’s Girlstown USA was established on the Duggan Ranch property in 1949 eight miles south of Whiteface and currently houses 84 girls. I’ve toured the impressive facility at 2490 SH 1780 Whiteface Texas.

Festivities occur each Summer in Morton and sometimes a re-enactment of the Buffalo Soldier event, this year on June 26-28, 2015 Texas Last Frontier Celebration and Buffalo Soldier Encampment. Here is the poster for the 2014 Celebration

The Mallet Ranch (1885) of Mallet Land and Cattle Company in southwest Hockley County near Sundown Texas was located adjacent to the C.C. Slaughter Lazy S Ranch and the ranches were competitors. David DeVitt operated the Mallet Ranch and his two daughters Christine DeVitt and Helen DeVitt Jones moved to Lubbock late in life. Oil was discovered on the Mallet Ranch in 1937 and oil revenue continues to fund the CH [Christine and Helen] Foundation and the Helen Jones Foundation (1984) that are major philanthropic entities on the South Plains. David J. Murrah, Oil, Taxes, and Cats: A History of the DeVitt Family and the Mallet Ranch (Texas Tech University Press 1994). Llano Estacado Heritage Foundation is located at 204 E. Carter Street, Sundown Texas 79372 phone 806-638-4524

Mallet Event Center & Arena (2012) is located on the south side of the city of Levelland Texas and is a marvelous addition to the area. It has a banquet hall, an exposition hall, an arena [dirt], a warm-up arena [also dirt], and covered penning for animals. Small events can be held in the lobby concourse area. Texas Limousin cattle breeders will appear in a show at the Mallet on May 22-24, 2015, a most fitting experience as a legacy from the breeding activities of Christopher C. Slaughter more than a century earlier in this area.

Comanche tribes in the Texas Oklahoma area were, from the Edwards Plateau region going north: Peneteka (honey eaters), Nokoni (those who turn back), Tanina (liver eaters), Tenewa (those who stay downstream), Kotsotekas (buffalo eaters) in Oklahoma, Yamparikas (yap plant eaters) in Arkansas River area in Kansas, and to the northwest Quahadis (antelopes) on the Llano Estacado. Notice that the Whiteface High School mascot is Antelopes, as is Abernathy High School and Post High School. Antelope Texas is on the road between Archer City and Jacksboro twenty miles northwest of Jacksboro in Jack County It is culturally notable that the Comanche of this area called themselves Antelope people and Anglo settlements are named for the antelope and their sports teams mascot is named for the antelope. People who are thought to be so different and distinctive may have at a deep unconscious level similar leanings and appreciations.


Great Western Cattle Trail Association annual national meeting is Friday-Sunday July 17-19, 2015 at Altus Oklahoma. Due to the recent passing of Mary Ann McCuistian it is being named Mary Ann McCuistian Memorial Conference. A Saturday afternoon excursion will take attendees to Doan’s Crossing of the Red River on the Great Western Cattle Trail 1874-1893 headed from Texas for Dodge City Kansas. and cities like Seymour Texas are proud of their location on the trail This map depicts the Trail beginning at San Antonio, Kerrville, Abilene, Fort Griffin, Vernon, Doan’s Crossing, Altus Oklahoma, Elk City, Fort Supply, Doby Springs, Ashland Kansas, Big Basin and Dodge City railhead A price of $8 per head at San Antonio compared to $23 per head at Dodge City is what caused the cattle drive to the railhead.

Robin Cole-Jett, Traveling History Up the Cattle Trails: A Road Tripper’s Guide to the Cattle Drives of the Southwest (Red River Historian Press 2014) paperback $15.29 at or $15.52 incl s&h at ABE Books new American culture has grown up around the mythic West – the cowboy, the open range, and the longhorn. What better way to discover the legends surrounding the Old West than to follow the history of the cattle drives? “Traveling History Up the Cattle Trails” offers three historic

road trips that trace the Shawnee, Chisholm, and Great Western Cattle Trails from Texas all the way to Kansas. Complete travel itineraries, vintage photographs, depictions of relics from the past, and trail drive histories make this book a great traveling companion for all readers enthralled with the open road.

The Texas chapter of the Trail is here


Arts History Update for early June 2015

3 Jun

Arts History Update for early June 2015 by David Cummins


DATES: June 6 from 1pm to 4pm

SKILL LEVEL: Open to all

LOCATION: The Helen DeVitt Jones Print Studio at CASP [Charles Adams Studio Project] (5th and Ave J)

CONCEPT: Investigate the current trends of print media in contemporary culture and get the tools you need to make your own artistic statement. This workshop focuses on water-based printing techniques and low-tech stencil printing methods. Technical demonstrations cover beginning printing processes, one- and two-color registration, a combination of hand dyeing, drawing back into, manipulation of the surface, water soluble markers, watercolor, and hand-cut stencil methods to create experimental unique prints.

MEDIA & TECHNIQUES: Students will use acrylic screen printing ink on a variety of papers, wood and fabric. We will use hand cut stencil methods in combination with students preparatory artwork (drawings and photo based images) to create a variety of hybrid prints!!!

John Hitchcock is an artist and Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Awards include The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation Grant, The Jerome Foundation Grant and artist in residence at The American Culture Center, Shanghai, China; Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, Belgium; Proyecto’ace, Buenos Aires, Argentina; and the Venice Printmaking Studio, Venice, Italy.


Bring drawings, sketchbooks, and images to use for compositions to be drawn to make paper stencils. Keep it simple for your first time making a stencil.

– Apron/print shirt- keep your fancy clothes clean

– Sketch book or notebook (inexpensive)

– 4-pair of dish washing gloves

Please bring one of the following:


Please bring various types of paper to print on.


Please bring any kind of small flat sheets of wood such as birch, MDF, pine, cherry, etc that you are interested to print on.


Please bring any type of fabric to be printed on!!

Space is limited so sign up now

Contact Linda Cullum

806 762-8606



Exhibition by Kristy Kristinek

The Texas Tech University School of Art presents Ballerina: Standard of Beauty, an exhibition by Kristy Kristinek. The exhibition is free and open to the public. An opening will be held as part of the First Friday Art Trail at the TTU School of Art Satellite Gallery Friday, June 5th, 2015 from 6pm-9pm.

The exhibition Ballerina: Standard of Beauty by Kristy Kristinek features twelve large monotype prints created by the artist and an interactive dance performance by dancers from Flatland Dance Theater. Kristinek’s work is concerned with the physicality of mark making, based on an understanding of the image as a documentation of the artist’s ‘dance,’ choreographed traces of the artist’s physical and mental presence or experience. Kristinek created the prints through an application of bodily pressure, repeating a rigorous physical act numerous times to produce a series of prints. The gestural and evocative process and resultant imagery of these 2-dimensional works is complemented and reinforced by the performance in which dancers move while wrapped in fabric. The temporal and ephemeral nature of the performance embodies the captured essence of impermanence in the series of prints. 

Kristy Kristinek is a recent graduate of the Texas Tech School of Art MFA program in Painting and Printmaking. She earned a BFA in Painting from Texas Tech University in 2012. Kristinek is the recipient of the 1st place paper prize at the 4th Annual Texas Tech Arts & Humanities Conference (2014) and the Thomas Curry Roberts Regents Art Scholarship Endowment (2015). Recent exhibitions include The Choreography of Painting at 5th & J Gallery (Lubbock, TX) and the Flatbed Press Show and Print Fair (Austin, TX). She is currently a Gallery Assistant at the Peachtree Gallery in Lubbock, TX.

The TTU School of Art Satellite Gallery at CASP/LHUCA is located at 1108 5th Street (5th Street and Avenue J) in downtown Lubbock. Gallery hours are Friday, June 5th, 6pm – 9pm, and by appointment through June 20th.

————————————– Microsoft Windows 10 Computer Operating System is scheduled for release in late July 2015 and is being touted Already announced is that Windows 7 and later users will be allowed to upgrade to Windows 10 free anytime within one year after the release of Windows 10.


Original Lubbock County Courthouse built in 1892 was located in the town square that was not a square but a rectangle one block north and south [present Broadway Street and Main Street but had different names back in the day] and two blocks east and west [present Texas Avenue and Crickets Avenue, former Avenue G]

Second Lubbock County Courthouse built in 1916 below

That’s the Lubbock County Jail to the right or east in the photograph above and by itself below

Additions to it were built over the years at courthouse square site see below, and one addition required the closure of Avenue G so an expanded jail could be built

until the present Lubbock County Detention Center (2010) was opened southeast of Preston Smith Lubbock International Airport, capacity 1,512 beds, at 3502 North Holly Avenue [at E. Regis Street and North Martin Luther King Jr Blvd just south of the airport, proceed east on E. Regis Street and turn south on North Holly Avenue to Detention Center]

Third Lubbock County Courthouse built in 1950 was constructed immediately to the west of second building

Second courthouse was razed in the 1960s and Avenue H, now Buddy Holly Avenue, was extended north and south through the old courthouse square property.

In 1992 the county acquired the former Lubbock National Bank Building later Bank of America Tower at 900 Main Street and constructed a pedestrian sky-bridge at the third floor level to connect the courthouse building and the courthouse annex building.

Got something to say to your federal congressional officials?

U.S. Representative Randy Neugebauer

U.S. Senator John Cornyn

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz


NHL National Hockey League Stanley Cup Finals is Tampa Bay Lightning [Eastern Conference Champion] v. Chicago Blackhawks [Western Conference Champion] June 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15 and 17 first team to win 4 games on NBC-TV. Keep your eye on the puck or your favorite player. Yes, this winter sport ends in June.

Lightning home ice is Amalie Arena, formerly Ice Palace, then St Pete Times Forum, then Tampa Bay Times Forum, capacity 19,204. Blackhawks home ice is United Center capacity 19,717.


The fourth annual Children’s Art & Literature Festival in Abilene Texas is Thursday through Saturday June 11-13, 2015 sponsored by Abilene Cultural Affairs Council and the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature Many great happenings occur including a parade, costume contests, storybook sculpture unveiling, and this year the Caldecott honoree artist who is present is David Shannon a 1999 winner

There are many other reasons to visit Abilene, capital of Big Country, but this is special.


An exhibit at Art Institute of Chicago Charles Ray Sculpture, 1997-2014 from May 15 – October 4, 2015 displays many near shocking or unsettling pieces by the American sculptor including Shoe Tie (2012) From an angle it would appear to be an update on a Renaissance piece of art by Michelangelo, but on closer analysis it becomes altogether contemporary and causes a wonderment about our current condition.


Constantine Brancusi’s influence on American minimalist sculpture is exhibited May 7 – July 10, 2015 at Paul Kasmin Gallery 515 W. 27th Street New York City biography


Texas Outdoor Musical 50th annual version is presented June 2 – August 15, 2015 at Pioneer Amphitheater in Palo Duro Canyon State Park, revised and expanded from a script by Paul Green with a 140 person cast and crew, mostly young people, who provide great vitality to the experience. Ticket office is in the city of Canyon on the square at 1514 5th Avenue or by phone 806-655-2181. A pre-performance dinner is on offer.


National Trails Day is Saturday June 6, 2015 and in celebration there will be a special bat tour at Clarity Railroad Tunnel at Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway.


Here is what Lake Alan Henry Lodges, rent-able by you, looks like in Summertime

and in Wintertime