Archive | May, 2014

Arts History Update for early June 2014

31 May

Art History Update for early June 2014 by David Cummins

Cool Spaces! The Best New Architecture is a PBS-TV series [season one has eight hour long episodes]and website and on the first weekly broadcast the Dallas Center for Architecture had a film screening available to the public at 6:30 pm Wednesday April 16, 2014. The initial program featured three structures, one being AT&T Stadium in Arlington Texas. The theme of the first episode was performing spaces. Dallas also has a chapter of the American Institute of Architects AIA

Fort Worth has a Center for Architecture and AIA chapter that is notable for its annual Homes Tour, the most recent being April 26-27 AIA 2014 FW Homes Tour. is the Architecture Center for Houston Texas. is the San Antonio Center for Architecture.

In Lubbock at KTTZ-TV channel 5 Cool Spaces! The Best New Architecture is broadcast on Monday evenings at 9:00 pm, beginning Monday April 28. rebroadcast Thursdays at 4:00 am if you want to set your recorder.

Lubbock has a chapter of the Texas Society of Architects as does Amarillo and Midland

Here is a short 1 minute 24 second 1939 newsreel video of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Johnson Wax Headquarters [Administration] Building in Racine Wisconsin That was a very cool space when it opened in 1939.

There are twelve Cool Spaces! video clips, not full episodes, on You Tube

The first four episodes of Cool Spaces! is available on a two disc DVD for $24.99 disc one performing and health spaces and disc two libraries and art spaces and there is a companion book Stephen Chung & Sun Joo Kim, Cool Spaces! The Best New Architecture (Oro Editions 2014 at 118 pages paperback) $24.95

Episode One: Performance Spaces featured AT&T Stadium, Arlington Texas HKS Architects Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Kansas City Missouri Safdie Architects and Barclays Center, Brooklyn New York SHoP Architects

Episode Two: Libraries featured James B. Hunt, Jr. Library, Raleigh North Carolina Snohetta Architects South Mountain Community Library, Phoenix Arizona Richard+Bauer Architects Seattle Central Library, Seattle Washington OMA/LMN Architects plus

Episode Three: Art Spaces featured Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia Pennsylvania Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture, Charlotte North Carolina Freelon Group Architects and Bloch Building at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City Missouri Steven Holl Architects

Episode Four: Healing Spaces featured Health Sciences Education Building at University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Phoenix Arizona CO Architects Yale Health Center, New Haven Connecticut Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects and Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, Las Vegas Nevada Frank Gehry Partners

Notice the commonality for all the buildings featured in this television series. They are each able to be visited by a member of the public. That’s your invitation to explore these remarkably designed spaces.


Guy Bailey, former president at Texas Tech University, will be the first president of University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley, a merger of the existing UT- Brownsville [includes Texas Southmost College] and UT- Pan American at Edinburgh and UTHSC San Antonio’s Regional Academic Health Center at Harlingen which will become a medical school


Pharmacy or Prescription Drug Discount Cards are being offered, some free, some for an annual membership fee, some as part of your membership in AARP or AAA Auto Club or another organization, and the claim is that they will reduce your net cost of purchasing drugs. That may be true for some people but is not true for others. The discount may be elusive and indeed only a chimera, depending upon your health characteristics, the drug involved [whether brand name or generic] and the drug formulary for your condition, the pharmacy’s pricing scheme for drugs, the quantity purchased, and whether or not you purchase by mail or over the counter. The benefit or devil is in the details. Example: if you purchased a Medicare D prescription drug insurance plan through Silver Script Insurance Company, a CVS Caremark Company, and most of your medicines are generic with let’s say only one higher cost brand name drug, and you fill all the prescriptions at CVS, you’re already getting the lowest available price for you for your drugs and a discount card won’t lower your cost. What does happen is that CVS gives you an ExtraCare Health Card free and that card gives you a store discount on CVS brand over the counter items in the store that you may or may not wish to purchase. The key is to acquire a good prescription drug insurance package that fits your health and economic characteristics and then purchase your drugs, generic when possible, through the insurance carrier’s network, and you’re getting the lowest available price. No discount card will be helpful.

The Texas Department of Insurance makes everything clear [?]

A person who has no prescription drug insurance plan of any kind, may gain a discount by using a discount card but that’s a discount from a sticker retail price so the discounted price is much higher than the net cost to the holder of a prescription drug insurance plan.


William Lester 1910-1991 was a renowned painter and art educator, a member of the Dallas Nine, and a professor in the College of Fine Arts at University of Texas at Austin He was born in Graham and during the Depression was part of the WPA project Civilian Conservation Corps in Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo and at Fort Sill Oklahoma. His painting Edge of Town (1944) is in the Texas Tech Museum collection and is currently on display in the Talkington Gallery of Art. Bluff and Cedar is another Lester painting depicting West Texas. He spent several summers painting and teaching at Sul Ross State University in Alpine art school.


Jackson Pollock, Mural (1943) is a seminal piece of mid-century American abstract expressionism art. Yvonne Szafran et al., Jackson Pollock’s Mural: The Transitional Moment (J. Paul Getty Museum Publications 2014) Texas Tech Library OVERSZ ND237.P73 A68 Pollock painted it for his sponsor Peggy Guggenheim’s New York City townhouse and she donated it to the University of Iowa Museum of Art in 1951. The rest as they say is history upon which barrels of ink have been spent.


While an original piece of art by a master can be knocked off on an auction block for millions every fifty years or so, a painting done in China that looks amazingly like a masterpiece, can be in your hands very soon and inexpensively. Winnie Won Yin Wong, Van Gogh On Demand: China and the Readymade (University of Chicago Press 2013). $85.50 hardcover $31.24 paperback $16.50 Kindle at In the Guangdong province in southeastern China there are thousands of workers in the village of Dafen who paint Van Goghs, Da Vincis and Warhols, among others. They are part of a global art market. Here is a one minute video and a two minute video

A fine exposition of visualizing art and understanding it, is a book by Siri Hustvedt The Blazing World: Novel (Simon & Schuster 2014) at Lubbock Public Library FIC HUST and Texas Tech Library PS3558.U813 B53 ABE Books $17.71 like new condition incl s&h.


William J. O’Brien, Chicago ceramicist, is getting $8,000 a pot and they are stunning. and detailed textural decoration of a jug-shaped vessel combined with an organic dripping application of glaze, creates an $11,000 piece.


Dystopian novels portray a society, usually of the future, that has arrived at a destination we’re all headed for if we don’t change now. The most shocking dystopian novel is the first one each of us reads, when the whole idea of the arbitrariness of human arrangements comes upon us, and we realize that the future is contingent on the present, and the future can be affected by something we do or don’t do now.

These novels differ from the post-apocalypse novel where we simply are introduced to existence in a later world however it may have arisen. Cormac McCarthy, The Road (2006) still affects
me and is one of the best of these.

Dystopian novels are often moralizing, and throw light upon how and why we need to be better or do better now.
1. Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels (1726), 2. Aldous Huxley, Brave New World (1932), 3. George Orwell [pen name of Eric Arthur Blair], Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949), 4. P.D. James, The Children of Men (1992), 5. Margaret Atwood, Surfacing (1972) The Handmaid’s Tale (1985) and more recently the trilogy Oryx and Crake (2003) The Year of the Flood (2009) and MaddAddam (2013), 6. Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 (1953) 7. Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1962), 8. Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games (2008) 9. Adam Johnston, The Orphan Master’s Son (2012), and 10. Chang-rae Lee, On Such a Full Sea (2014).

The utopian novel is just the reverse but has the same function. 1. Sir Thomas More, Utopia (1516) and 2. William Dean Howells, A Traveler From Altruria (1894)

At its base, the authors must all have had some dismay about contemporary life, but there is no attempt to be prescriptive as to what unwholesome features are so predominant that they are the root cause of bringing dystopia upon us. We are bombarded by those writers who have particular phenomena that they think are cataclysmic and ask us to reform or repent and avoid our fate. We generally don’t read them. They have their ox and must gore it, best left alone.


17th Annual Wine and Clay Festival at Llano Estacado Winery is Saturday and Sunday June 7-8, 2014. Admission is free, Saturday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm Sunday noon – 5:00 pm. The Llano Estacado Clay Guild co-sponsors this event but other art forms are also displayed and offered for sale. Kenny Maines band will play on Saturday and Jenni Dale Lord band on Sunday. Don’t forget the annual membership show by the Clay Guild at LHUCA Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts John F. Lott Gallery in December.

Winery is at 3426 East FM Road 1585 [130th Street east of US Highway 87 south of Lubbock].


William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 was the elder icon for the beat generation of Kerouac, Ginsberg and others. Supported by heirs of the typewriter and adding machine company fortune, he was a roaming homo/bisexual drug addicted person who wrote, voluminously. Here is a twelve page list titled as a selective bibliography The short list that brought him to public attention is Junky (1953) Naked Lunch (1959) The Soft Machine (1961 revised 1966) The Ticket That Exploded (1962 revised 1966) and Nova Express (1964). Junky and Naked Lunch were blacklisted by the United States Post Office and the British Customs Office, probably achieving an underground literary status for writings that valorized homosexual sex acts and shooting up heroin, but weren’t written all that well. At the time it was said they were an extension of the Ernest Hemingway short pithy style, but on closer reading that turned out to be an insult to Hemingway. Truth be told, I’ve read only part of Naked Lunch, said to be his best work, and part of an essay. Here is a 1963 review by John Willett in which he concludes that the author of Naked Lunch writes grey porridge.

In addition to being an icon for the beats, he was a rather poor father, leading to an early demise of his estranged son [raised by grandparents after father Bill accidentally shot and killed his wife, Billy’s mother, Joan Vollmer in a Mexico City hotel on September 6, 1951] William S. Burroughs, Jr. from alcoholism and liver failure 1947-1981 after Billy wrote two autobiographical novels Speed (1970) and Kentucky Ham (1973). His writings were collected and published as William S. Burroughs, Jr., Cursed From Birth: The Short Unhappy Life of William S. Burroughs, Jr. (ed. David Ohle, Soft Skull Press 2006) that includes Allen Ginsberg’s letter to William S. Burroughs “Dear Bill: We buried Bill Jr’s ashes up on the side of a rocky hill [outside Boulder Colorado] …. There’s a little graveyard with small stones piled up on each grave …. Love, Allen”

William S. Burroughs lived in Texas for a while. Indeed his son Billy was born in 1947 while his parents were living in Conroe Texas. Rob Johnson, The Lost Years of William S. Burroughs: Beats in South Texas (Texas A&M University Press 2006) Texas Tech Library Southwest Collection TEX 33 B9715 J68 L881 Lubbock Public Library BIO BURR

A biography is Barry Miles, Call Me Burroughs: A Life (Twelve 2014) 650 pages $32 hardcover $16.99 Kindle Texas Tech Library PS3552.U75 Z7427 It is reviewed favorably as a biography but most believe that the subject’s writing is marginalia. New York Times Manchester Guardian Book Forum The New Yorker


University Medical Center nurses will talk on the phone with you.

We’ve all been there before: someone in the house has a nagging cough, a strange ache, or a stubborn fever. Do we go to the doctor, the emergency room or just take a pain reliever and sleep it off?
UMC’s new nurse line, 74NURSE, helps take out the guesswork. The line began in 2013 as a way to serve area patients and help reduce non-urgent emergency room visits. The result is round-the-clock service helping many patients save time, anxiety and money.
“A nurse is at your beck and call, literally,” says Stephanie Hunter, MSN, RN, and director of 74NURSE.
Here’s how it works: a patient dials 74NURSE (746-8773) and speaks with a nurse, who then asks a series of questions to assess the patient’s medical situation. Using professional expertise as well as a medical software program, the nurse recommends a next step – like a trip to a primary care provider, an emergency room visit or at-home treatment.
The line is staffed 24 hours a day and if nurses happen to be on another line with patients, callers can leave a message for a swift return call.
The free service is available to everyone, whether or not they have insurance or a primary care provider.

Arts History Update for late May 2014

18 May

Arts History Update for late May 2014 by David Cummins


Lubbock Heritage Society is offering a Saturday June 7 trip from Lubbock to the Goodnight Historical Center off US Highway 287 nine miles east of Claude Texas, followed by a chuck wagon lunch of brisket and trimmings, followed by a trip into Claude and a tour of the Armstrong County Historical Museum 121 North Trice Street, Art Gallery, the historic Gem Theatre, and the old Claude school. The air conditioned bus is boarded at the Buddy Holly Center 1801 Crickets Avenue south parking lot at 8:00 am and the return will be to that location about 7:00 pm. The route is said to be “the scenic route” which to me means that the bus will leave Lubbock on US Highways 62/82 and Texas State Highway SH 114 going east to Idalou, Lorenzo and Ralls. At that point the bus will head north on Texas SH 207 one of the state’s most scenic highways to Cone, then cross the White River, Floydada, South Plains [western terminus of Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway], Silverton, cross the Tule Creek dam and a rather dry Mackenzie Lake [reservoir] into Tule Canyon, then cross the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River in Palo Duro Canyon, and on to Claude Texas. The morning trip will show the canyon lands with the sun in the eastern sky, while the return trip will provide an entirely different vista with the sun in the western sky. Both are remarkably gorgeous. The juxtaposition of the canyon lands and the panhandle and caprock high plains is made abundantly clear. The immediate setting of the escarpment is almost unique.


The cost is $45 per person payable on or before June 3 to Treasurer Gretchen Scott, Lubbock Heritage Society 4012 69th Street, Lubbock Texas 79413 phone 791-5456 e-mail and the fee covers the transportation, lunch and entrance fees. Purchases at the gift shops/stores are made at your own discretion.


Texas SH 207 starts at Post Texas and ends at the Oklahoma state boundary. North of Claude it goes to Conway, Panhandle, Borger [eleven miles west is Sanford Dam on the Canadian River creating Lake Meredith], crosses the Canadian River, Stinnett, Spearman and the border leading to Guymon OK county seat of Texas County Oklahoma.


If one doesn’t take this particular Lubbock Heritage Society trip, a shorter scenic drive is to take US Highway 84 southeast off the Caprock through Slaton to Post in Garza County and then take Texas SH 207 north to Ralls, crossing Yellowhouse Canyon and the North Fork of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River in southern Crosby County, and come back into town. Tracing the escarpment mini canyons, most of them box canyons dead-ending into unscalable bluffs, and then rising again onto the Caprock, is a fascinating exploration and equivalent to what folks did in the 19th century on a pony. If you like to dream about reality in another time, there is a story about a US Army Cavalry unit on patrol that ran into a small band of Comanche and charged but the Lords of the Plains were on horseback and bolted in several directions. One trooper chased a Comanche as he rode into one of those box canyons in the escarpment, dismounted and shot at the trooper who dismounted, and they seemed to be in a standoff until the trooper realized that the Comanche had sneaked farther into the bluff and scrambled up it. Furthermore, his horse had run away. While the trooper rejoined his unit the Comanche band reunited up on the Caprock somewhat amazed at the ineptness of their foe. John Graves retold that story in his short story The Last Running, Atlantic Monthly Magazine, June 1959 reprinted inter alia as The Last Running: A Story (drawings by John Groth, Lyons & Burford Press 1990 in 64 pages)ABE Books in good condition $26.32 incl s&h  Lyons & Burford (1990), New York, 1990. In 1923 an old Comanche named Starlight comes from an Oklahoma reservation to Texas with eight compatriots and demands of old Tom Bird the largest of his buffalo, which the Indians eventually kill, in less than a graceful manner, and then head home. Such is the bare frame of this remarkable story, filled with remembrances of old raids, narrow escapes, days of intense confrontation and bold blood, now gone. “It is a classic in its idea,” says A. C. Greene, “and an artistic masterwork in its fulfillment.” The text is handsomely illustrated with drawings by the late John Groth. The respect by Starlight for Tom and vice versa and what caused it render this short work a marvel in inter-ethnic studies. The inability of several Comanche to perform what they’ve been told about but never done before, is heart rending. Their keen felt need to do so is appreciated by Tom who finally relents and allows the slaughter of a bison bull. Everyone is reduced by the situation but the humanity of the men and inhumanity to the bison are riveting.




Paul M. Baars, Optical Illusions (Harry N. Abrams 2014) is an interesting book collecting varied forms of illusions. The author is a graphic designer based in Amsterdam Holland. ABE Books new $19.13 incl s&h. Optical Illusions (DK Publishing 2012) is also worthy of attention.


Tromp l’oeil literally means in French “deceives the eye” and was first used in 1889 describing a painting style in which a painted object is intended to deceive the viewer into believing that it is the object itself. Illusions or tricks on the eye are fleetingly of interest but use of the optical illusion technique in an appropriate setting can be magnificent art. Marco Cianfanelli, National Monument – Nelson Mandela (2012)

the profile of Mandela appears through 50 carefully displaced steel columns anchored to concrete covered ground, representing a 27 year prison confinement during which he was never not viewed and known as a living symbol. John Pugh muralist specializes in optical illusion art in public places. His mural Siete Punto Uno [seven point one] in Los Gatos California tells a story. It is on the side of a building The Pastaria & Market at 49 East Main Street in a city that suffered from the 1989 Loma Pietra earthquake. The mural includes two large cats [gatos] but also the Mayan jaguar god who was believed to be a propitiation agency for such calamities. The contemporary woman looking inside the Mayan temple is not outside the wall, for she is part of the painting, [tromp l’oeil] thus collapsing time in representational art. The mural deteriorated over twenty years and there is now a movement to restore it. Its earlier vibrancy is appreciated by viewing the Internet photograph image.






Levelland Texas is known as “The City of Mosaic Murals”

Chain of Life (1970) at Lucille Drive and Jackson Avenue behind Carver School by Frank Gonzales and Rev. Ellis Langston


The History of Hockley County Schools (1984) and Your Children’s Children (1984) on the Hockley County Library at Avenue H and Austin Street by Burl Cole


Land of Soil, Oil and Education (1972) by John Meigs, Frank Gonzales, Shirley Kennedy and Cecile Foster on Chamber of Commerce Building 1101 Avenue H


Through the Ages (1994) by Ruth McNay and John Hope on same building


The Tree of Life (1972) by Don Stroud and Burl Cole at Levelland Clinic 1804 South College Avenue


The Arms of Care (1971) by Burl Cole at Covenant Hospital Levelland 1900 College Avenue, recreated on an exterior wall by Burl Cole, Don Stroud, John Hope, Bette Hope, Daniel Hope and Dylan Hope, refurbished in 2014


Wild Mustangs (1968) by Don Stroud on Fine Arts Building South Plains College, moved inside building during expansion


New Beginning – New Life (1974) by Ford Ruthling and Burl Cole on Biological Sciences Building South Plains College


New Morning (2001) by John Hope, Bette Hope and Jeri Emrich on Student Services Building South Plains College is an article on the Levelland Mosaic Murals.


Is there something in the air or water that produces artists in Hockley County? Cam Dockery near Whitharral is a self-taught chain saw wood carver with amazing outcomes, just 11 miles north of Levelland.




Student Union Building at Texas Tech University has many meeting rooms, listed as follows: Arroyo, Bell Tower, Brazos, Canyon, Caprock, Double T, Llano Estacado, Lone Star, Lubbock, Masked Rider, Matador Room, Matador Lounge, Mesa, Playa, Scarlet & Black, Senate, Soapsuds, Toreador, and Traditions plus specific use areas such as Stars and Stripes Military, Veterans and Family Lounge, the 986 seat Allen Theatre [first floor] and 100 seat Escondido Theatre [basement], Red Raider Ballroom and Red Raider Lounge, and Barnes & Noble Bookstore [basement and first floor] at Texas Tech University. SUB also contains counters for obtaining services such as e-raider accounts and debit cards with purchased funds usable on the cards at various establishments on campus including vending machines and eateries in the SUB and other locations. If a member of the public wished to use the main Texas Tech Library one first needs to acquire an e-raider account and card at the SUB and then go to the Library. Actually one could then just drop into a SUB computer room and get online and enter your e-raider account number and get into the electronic Library catalogue to find what you’re interested in, including its availability.




Rural Mississippi born and raised Elizabeth Spencer, novelist and short story writer, is 92 years of age and still writing The best of her novels may be No Place for an Angel (McGraw-Hill 1967) Texas Tech Library PS3537.P5 N73 ABE Books good condition $6.90 incl s&h but her first is still appealing Fire in the Morning (McGraw-Hill 1968 written 1948 at age 26) PS3537.P5 F5 digitized in 2012 for download by University Press of Mississippi. ABE Books in good condition $3.41 incl s&h. Landscapes of the Heart: A Memoir (Random House 1998) Tech Library PS3557.P4454 Z47 ABE Books good condition $10.48 incl s&h. Her short story collections include Starting Over: Stories (W.W. Norton & Co 2014) Tech Library PS3537.P4454 A6 The Southern Woman: New and Collected Fiction (2001) going back to Ship Island and Other Stories (McGraw-Hill 1968) Tech Library PS3557.P5 S5. See a review by Michael Gorra, The Brilliant Explorations of Elizabeth Spencer, The New York Review of Books, May 22, 2014 at page 26.


The Light in the Piazza (McGraw-Hill 1960) Tech Library PS3557.P5 L7 is a novella of six connected tales reissued in 1996 PS3557.P4454 L54. It was made into a film Light in the Piazza in 1962 remastered and reissued as a DVD in 2011 and a Broadway musical in 2005-2006 nominated for a Tony as Best Musical and it won a Tony for Best Score .


Lubbock Public Library has The Voice at the Back Door (McGraw-Hill 1956) ABE Books in good condition $3.56 incl s&h.





Elray McKinney is 95 years of age, living in Lubbock, and the subject of Ray Westbrook’s human interest story Elray McKinney is family and museum oriented person, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Sunday May 11, 2014 at page A8. Her oral interview June 23, 2004 is on file at the Texas Tech Southwest Collection Library At age 6 she was brought by her father from their Brownfield farm into Lubbock for the opening of Texas Technological College in 1925. She later entered that college as a student in 1936, graduated and went to work in Santa Fe New Mexico but ultimately returned to the Lubbock area where she has been a patron of the Texas Tech Museum when it was in Holden Hall curated by Curry Holden as well as the new 1970 museum on 4thStreet. She recalls Arts History Lecture Series events as long ago as 1960 when Rabbi Alexander Kline started the series. The Kline Room on the second floor is named for him.


Her children Devon McKinney Mora, daughter, and Robert McKinney, son, both live in the Houston area. They confirm her family and museum tales.





Betsy Blaney, Many Prairie Areas Drier Now Than During Dust Bowl, The Associated Press, May 10, 2014, dateline Lubbock Texas



Art on the Llano Estacado Exhibition and Sale is a Texas Tech Museum Association fundraiser offering a chance to purchase donated art at a gala event with cocktails and dinner on the evening of Friday June 6, 2014 at the Texas Tech Museum Helen DeVitt Jones Sculpture Court. $250 per person is the ticket for the event. Forty artists making the donations have priced their donated piece, drawings will be held for the chance to purchase at that price, and if three winners decline to purchase, it will be offered at a lower price in a new drawing. Art that is not sold during the evening will be available to the public for purchase the following day Saturday June 7 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm no admission price to shop.





May 14-25 is the 2014 Cannes France International Film Festival and here is a photo of the president and director Jane Campion arriving on May 13 This is the lineup of films that made the cut Mr. Turner (2014 at 149 minutes) is an exploration of the eccentric British painter J.M.W. Turner’s last quarter century of life. The Homesman (2014 at 122 minutes, directed by Tommy Lee Jones) stars Tommy Lee Jones, Hilary Swank, Meryl Streep, James Spader and John Lithgow.





17th Annual Dallas Benedictine ExperienceStBenedict

 June 25-28, 2014

The Catholic Conference Center, Dallas, Texas 


The 17th annual multi-denominational Dallas Benedictine Experience will take place at The Catholic Conference and Formation Center in Dallas, Texas from Wednesday, June 25 through Saturday, June 28, 2014


This monastic experience is presented by The Friends of St. Benedict, Washington, D.C. and is open to men and women, laity and clergy of all denominations.  Participants will live on the campus of the center for four days, forming a temporary monastic community to experience the balanced way of life of The Rule of St. Benedict as it divides each day into private and group prayer, study, work, and monastic silence.  Four Benedictine Offices (Lauds, Sext, Vespers, and Compline) will be chanted each day in English in Gregorian chant. 


For further information, please e-mail or call 214-339-8483.  




There are 30 teams in the National Basketball Association but only four are left on Sunday May 18 as the Eastern Conference and Western Conference finals begin # 1 Indiana Pacers 56-26 v. # 2 Miami Heat 54-28 in the East and # 1 San Antonio Spurs 62-20 v. # 2 Oklahoma City Thunder 59-23 in the West. The playoffs ended with the top two teams in each conference playing for the title and the right to play for the NBA championship. The Miami Heat won the NBA Championship a year ago and will be difficult to dethrone. Go Pacers, Go Spurs, Go Thunder!




Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Texas Tech University is offering a Quanah Parker Trail bus trip on Tuesday June 3, 2014 from 1:00 pm – 5:30 pm $45 led by Holle Humphries who is an executive with the Trail. The Lubbock giant steel arrow is in Mackenzie Park on the property of the Bayer Museum of Agriculture. The giant arrow in Crosbyton is in the City Park. No doubt the bus will enter Blanco Canyon where there is much history for Quanah and his band of Kwahadi Comanche.















































































Arts History Update for just past mid May 2014

6 May

Arts History Update for just past mid May 2014 by David Cummins

Can we talk about professional baseball in Texas and not talk about major league baseball and the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros?

Minor League baseball includes the Pacific Coast League Triple A that includes two Texas teams, the Round Rock Express and the El Paso Chihuahuas. The El Paso Diablos played their last game in 2013. April 28 through September 1 is the inaugural season for the Chihuahuas at Southwest University Park a $74 million facility that seats 7,500 fans. The Express is affiliated with the Texas Rangers and the Chihuahuas is affiliated with the San Diego Padres.

The Texas League is Double A and includes the Frisco RoughRiders [affiliate Texas Rangers], Corpus Christi Hooks [affiliate Houston Astros] , Midland RockHounds [affiliate Oakland Athletics], and San Antonio Missions [affiliate San Diego Padres].

The American Association of Independent Professional Baseball is not affiliated with major league or minor league baseball but is independent. Teams include the Amarillo Sox Grand Prairie Airhogs Laredo Lemurs Fort Worth Cats Rio Grande Valley [Harlingen] White Wings San Angelo Colts and Edinburg Roadrunners

The Sox play at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium 3303 E. 3rd Street

An independent Pecos League includes the Alpine Cowboys and the League is reaching out to Lubbock for a team, presumably to revive the historic name of the former Lubbock Hubbers baseball team with the idea that it might play games at Max O’Banion Field 38th Street at Elkhart Avenue where Coronado High School Mustangs play baseball during the Spring.

Batter up !


La Bahia (the bay) community was originally on the coast where Matagorda Bay and Lavaca Bay joined on the Gulf of Mexico, but later was moved to a point on the Guadalupe River and a presidio [fort] and mission were built there, but then all was moved farther west and upstream on the San Antonio River and the name La Bahia, probably because it was then so far from salt water, was changed to Goliad. Some people during the run-up to the Texas Revolution 1835-1836 called it La Bahia and some called it Goliad. The mission and presidio are historic sites today It was on the Atascosito Road between San Antonio de Bexar and New Orleans

By the early 1830s there were 20,000 Texians [plus about 1,000 slaves] and 4,000 Tejanos in the Tejas district of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas and the role of Don Estevan Austin [Stephen F. Austin] empressario or land contractor gradually became that of a principled and respected mediator between a swarm of disaffected sometimes angry settlers and an unresponsive Mexican government located at a great distance in Saltillo and Mexico City. The Texian settlers were largely English speaking and not bilingual, displaced from the United States where they could not purchase land, and increasingly were recreating Spanish Tejas in their North American image of frontier reality. Austin had a foot in both worlds. In a short time, events not of his making would set in motion a revolution.

Why weren’t there more Tejano settlers? Because they attempted settlement close to and in the orbit of San Antonio de Bexar and were relentlessly raided by Comanche Kiowa and Apache Indians, to the point that Mexican authorities considered taking Mexican prisoners in the south of Mexico to Tejas and then releasing them on condition they settle in Tejas. That was not actually done but Mexican prisoners were used as Mexican army troops in garrisons deployed to Tejas. Both New Spain and Mexico were unable to settle their own people in Tejas and that was why they were willing to issue land grants to Austin and other empressarios, in the hope that the Texian Americano settlers would serve as a buffer against the Indians who had made it impossible to settle the area with Tejanos. Austin’s colony east of the Colorado River and in wooded areas was relatively safe from depredation by Comanche Kiowa and Apache.

By 1831 the ten year period of exemption from customs and taxation expired. Taxes began to be levied and customs houses were built. The taxes and customs duties were uniform fair and expected, so imposition was not a problem. The manner of enforcement and collection gradually became a problem because it was ultimately done with Mexican army units. What occurred in Mexico City and the south was that instability of the new federal government and a fleeting succession of presidents devolved into political anarchy and caudillaje or military rule became the governing power in a central autocracy that ignored Tejas and rendered it no governmental services and created no infrastructure there. At the same time Mexico City’s parliament decided by the Edict of April 6, 1830 to stop immigration from the United States into Tejas and this inflamed Texian settlers many of whom still had family or kin who it was hoped would ultimately join them in Tejas. As generalship became synonymous with Mexican government and the popular military hero Don Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna took power, the state and local Mexican government became increasingly military in style. The Mexican Constitution of 1824 was in tatters and military administration of Tejas was resented and burdensome. Garrisons of troops appeared at Nacagdoches, Tenoxtitlan, Anahuac, Velasco and elsewhere, seemed to favor Tejanos and drew friction and violence from Texian settlers. To Texians, especially to the newly arrived Texians without any title to land, it seemed that things had changed greatly. In former years Texians had paid no taxes or customs duties, worked no public roads, got their land at cost, and performed no public duties of any kind, even though Mexicans south of the Bravo [Rio Grande] were subject to military service, taxes, customs duties, and mandatory church tithes. The government of Texians was left to the empressarios or land contractors who let Texians govern themselves. The Mexican militarizing of Tejas, local government by the army, was irritating. When Santa Anna formally nullified the Mexican Constitution of 1824 Texians were dismayed as they had seen their own rights and future within that constitution.

The Old 300 planters and farmers assumed that this fracas would pass as others had in the past, but the more newly arrived and those without land titles of any kind, were keen to take what they wanted and not bow and scrape to Mexicans for whatever they were willing to allow. Stephen F. Austin had traveled to Mexico City, arriving in July 1833, with a proposed constitution for a separate state of Tejas in a Mexican confederation of states. Austin was jailed until December 1834, then released on bond but not allowed to leave until a general amnesty occurred in July 1835 and he sailed to New Orleans, returning to Tejas in August 1835. During the long absence of the principal empressario a number of incidents had occurred and friction was unresolved. When Austin returned he was a changed man, no longer believing there was any future for Tejas as a Mexican state. He appealed to Texians for added strength that could be achieved by new American immigrants and he personally went to Kentucky and Tennessee to find those immigrants. He wanted strength and he had no land grant titles from Mexico to offer. A frontier that was lawless and ungoverned was on offer. While not yet a firebrand Austin was committed to Americanizing Tejas and building up Texian strength and capability.

Santa Anna’s provocations did the rest. General Santa Anna ordered his army troops garrisoned at Matamoros, to go up to San Antonio de Bexar from which a unit went to Gonzales on the Guadalupe River to disarm the village on October 2, 1835, particularly to take possession of its cannon that had been em-placed there for years to ward off Indians. Feisty Texians armed the fort and even shot the cannon in the direction of the Mexican army troops who backed off and returned to San Antonio. The slogan “Come and Get It” signified the resolve of the Texians. The first shot in a fray that would be known later as the Texas Revolution, was fired by Texians, not the Mexican army. Texians would not voluntarily or by request become defenseless. Indeed, they brazenly went to San Antonio de Bexar and captured it. Alwyn Barr, Texans In Revolt: The Battle for San Antonio, 1835 (University of Texas Press 1990) Texas Tech Southwest Collection TEX 31 B2678 T355 ABE Books in good condition paperback $13.50 incl s&h. These events and outcomes infuriated Santa Anna who left Mexico City for Tejas to put down the Texians. He led an army and would be ruthless at the Alamo in San Antonio de Bexar [siege February 23 – March 6, 1836 no survivors] and at Goliad [March 27, 1836 no survivors]. He would chase Houston’s Texian forces until he found them at San Jacinto and was to his surprise defeated in a 36 minute battle April 21, 1836. He received “the honor of war” and was allowed to lead his defeated forces back to Mexico City. He verbally but not mentally acknowledged the independent republic of Texas and he would later plan a return military engagement to reclaim Tejas. Sam Houston was elected president of the new republic and appointed Stephen F. Austin as secretary of state. Months later Austin died of pneumonia in December 1836 at age 43. His sturdy health was broken by the long imprisonment in Mexico City.

His legacy, in part, was to have named in his honor the state capital of Texas, a future city on the Colorado River west of Stephen Austin’s habitat. Mirabeau Lamar the second president of the Republic of Texas and Sam Houston the first president, would tussle about this. Jeffrey Stuart Kerr, Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin, Texas (Texas Tech University Press 2013) $28.77 Kindle $16.49 in 352 pages Kerr begins by telling us that in 1838 Lamar went on a buffalo [bison] hunt toward the middle Colorado and saw an area then referred to as Waterloo and Lamar envisioned that it would become the capital of the Republic, named of course for the Father of the Republic the late Stephen F. Austin. Texas Tech Library F394.A957 K475 ABE Books hardcover in very good condition $26.29 incl s&h


Recycled Art Contest at Texas Tech University on April 25, 2014 yielded these student entries and winners At least 75% of the materials within each art object had to be and were recycled materials.


One can learn much about a culture by reading fiction from and set in that country. The Library of Korean Literature is a series of twenty-five works translated into English and published by Dalkey Archive Press of Champaign Illinois featuring South Korean writers.

Thumbnail sketch of Korean history: Joseon Dynasty 1392-1910 followed by Japanese Colony 1910-1945 followed by Korean War 1950-1953 followed by dictators, democratically elected leaders and economic productivity.

Yi Kwang-Su, The Soil (transl. Hwang Sun-ae & Horace Jeffrey Hodges, 1932, reprint Dalkey Archive Press 2013) said to be the first Korean novel

Park Wan-suh, Lonesome You (transl. Elizabeth Haejin Yoon, Dalkey Archive Press 2013) short story collection, and her memoir or autobiographical novel Who Ate Up All the Shinga? (Columbia University Press 2009) about growing up during the oppressive Japanese occupation

Kyung-Sook Shin, Please Look After Mother (Knopf Group 2011) novel read widely across the planet

Kim Joo-young, Stingray (Dalkey Archive Press 2013) novella at 134 pages

Li Ki-Ho, At Least We Can Apologize (Dalkey Archive Press 2013) novella at 192 pages

Jang Eun-jin, No One Writes Back (Dalkey Archive Press 2013) novella at 203 pages

Jang Jung-il, When Adam Opens His Eyes (Dalkey Archive Press 2013) novella at 142 pages

Jung Young Moon, A Most Ambiguous Sunday and Other Stories (Dalkey Archive Press 2013) short story collection

South Korea has a well-funded Literature Translation Institute of Korea that makes Korean works available in other languages and world literature available to Koreans in their language.

Isabel Wilkerson, The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration (Random House 2010) is a biography of nearly six million African Americans who migrated north and west from the Jim Crow south from 1915 to 1970. Texas Tech Library E185.6.W685 Lubbock Public Library 304.80973 WILK for which she won the National Book Critics Circle Award for Non-Fiction in Spring 2011. Before 1915 90% of African Americans lived in the south. After 1970 half lived elsewhere. ABE Books in good condition $6.28 incl s&h.

Born in 1961 Ms. Wilkerson says she is a daughter of the great migration, as is Michelle Obama, first lady of the nation.

In this epic, beautifully written masterwork, Pulitzer Prize–winning author Isabel Wilkerson chronicles one of the great untold stories of American history: the decades-long migration of black citizens who fled the South for northern and western cities, in search of a better 
life. From 1915 to 1970, this exodus of almost six million people changed the face of America. Wilkerson compares this epic migration to the migrations of other peoples in history. She interviewed more than a thousand people, and gained access to new data and official records, to write this definitive and vividly dramatic account of how these American journeys unfolded, altering our cities, our country, and ourselves.
With stunning historical detail, Wilkerson tells this story through the lives of three unique individuals: Ida Mae Gladney, who in 1937 left sharecropping and prejudice in Mississippi for Chicago, where she achieved quiet blue-collar success and, in old age, voted for Barack Obama when he ran for an Illinois Senate seat; sharp and quick-tempered George Starling, who in 1945 fled Florida for Harlem, where he endangered his job fighting for civil rights, saw his family fall, and finally found peace in God; and Robert Foster, who left Louisiana in 1953 to pursue a medical career, the personal physician to Ray Charles as part of a glitteringly successful medical career, which allowed him to purchase a grand home where he often threw exuberant parties.

Wilkerson brilliantly captures their first treacherous and exhausting cross-country trips by car and train and their new lives in colonies that grew into ghettos, as well as how they changed these cities with southern food, faith, and culture and improved them with discipline, drive, and hard work. Both a riveting microcosm and a major assessment, The Warmth of Other Suns is a bold, remarkable, and riveting work, a superb account of an “unrecognized immigration” within our own land. Through the breadth of its narrative, the beauty of the writing, the depth of its research, and the fullness of the people and lives portrayed herein, this book is destined to become a classic. 


Recently there was an invitation to an event at Rodgers Park said to be at Bates Street and North Indiana Avenue in Lubbock. That is indeed the northwest segment of the park. William Herbert “Bill” Rodgers 1886 – 1960s was a parks and recreation commissioner for Lubbock, a city manager, and served as mayor from 1948-1950. On the Internet there are several references to the park as being Rogers Park as well as Rodgers Park. Probably that resulted from confusing W.H. “Bill” Rodgers with W.D. “Dub” Rogers.

W.D. “Dub” Rogers, Jr. 1921-1993 moved to Lubbock in 1952 to establish a television station KDUB-TV that was first broadcast on November 13, 1952. The successor station is the current KLBK-TV channel 13. Dub was elected Mayor of the City of Lubbock 1966-1970. Rodgers Park is not named for him.

Maggie Trejo Supercenter, a large community center, is located in the southeast section of the Park at 3200 Amherst Street. North of it is Montelongo Pool. The area surrounding the park is the Arnett-Benson district. North of the major arterial street 4th Street is 3rd Place, 3rd Street, 2nd Place, 2nd Street, 1st Place, and 1st Street. North of that the east-west streets are named for colleges in alphabetical order; viz., Amherst, Auburn, Bates, Baylor, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Emory, Erskine, Fordham, Grinnell, Harvard, Itasca, Jarvis, Kemper, Lehigh, Marshall, Oberlin, Queens, Rice, Stanford, Tulane, Ursuline and Wabash.

Queens College is in Flushing New York in the Borough of Queens. Jarvis Christian College is in Hawkins Texas 15 miles west of Longview Texas. Bates College is in Lewiston Maine. Amherst College is in Amherst Massachusetts. Erskine College is in Due West South Carolina. Grinnell College is in Grinnell Iowa 30 miles east of Des Moines. Itasca College is in Grand Rapids Minnesota west of Duluth on US Highway 2. Kemper Military School and College is in Boonville Missouri on the Missouri River north of Interstate Highway 70. Lehigh University is in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. Marshall University is in Huntington West Virginia. Oberlin College is in Oberlin Ohio. Ursuline College is in Pepper Pike Ohio. Wabash College is in Crawfordsville Indiana. Colgate University is in Hamilton New York 30 miles south of Interstate Highway 90 New York State Thruway.

Returning to W.H. Rodgers, he is part of the story of Buffalo Springs Lake in Yellowhouse Canyon southeast of the city of Lubbock. Buffalo Springs was an active fresh water spring to which bison regularly came for water, and the Comanche followed and hunted there, as did Anglo buffalo hunters bent on commercial extermination of herds. After settlement occurred by ranchers, the land encompassing Buffalo Springs was part of the S.I. Johnston Ranch. In the 1920s the ranch was broken up and sold. J.A. Andy Wilson bought the Springs property and put in a small dam and formed the Buffalo Lake Association. The original Springs was inundated. In the early 1950s W.H. Rodgers and George Etz owned the ranch land adjoining the small lake and leased 2,000 acres of that ranch land so that a private park, camping, boating, swimming and fishing operation could be developed under the name Buffalo Lake, Inc. In 1957 Lubbock County Water Control and Improvement District # 1 purchased Buffalo Springs Lake and the leased ranch land surrounding it and continues to operate the Lake and its recreational activities, and has improved and maintains the dam. Buffalo Springs is incorporated as a village in Lubbock County with 453 residents at 2010 census. It has a mayor and five aldermen[women]. To the east the Town of Ransom Canyon with a population of 1,100 has a mayor and five councilmwe[women].

The Jim Bertram Canyon Lakes System within the city of Lubbock includes six lakes named, from northwest to southeast: Conquistador Lake [site of Buddy Holly Recreation Area with Fiesta Plaza south of the lake and Landwer-Manicapelli House north of the lake] that is west of North University Avenue, Llano Estacado Lake east of North University Avenue, Comancheria Lake east of North Avenue U, Vaquero Lake [in Mackenzie Park], Canyon Lake [in Mackenzie Park], and Dunbar Historical Lake east of Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard. There have been discussions about placing two more dams and creating lakes # 7 and # 8 but it’s never happened. The next lakes on the North Fork of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River are Buffalo Springs Lake and Lake Ransom Canyon southeast of the city of Lubbock. Between Comancheria Lake and Mackenzie Park is Aztlan Park, a city park through which runs Yellowhouse Draw at that point a flowing creek or small stream. Technically, where Yellowhouse Draw and Blackwater Draw converge in Mackenzie Park is the beginning of the North Fork of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River and the beginning of Yellowhouse Canyon. Blackwater Draw runs through Lubbock Country Club and then south into Mackenzie Park. A resourceful hiker could travel from Conquistador Lake abutting North Loop 289 highway all the way downstream to the spillway dam on Dunbar Historical Lake east of the City of Lubbock Cemetery.

The name Yellowhouse comes from the journal of Spanish explorer Francisco Vasquez de Coronado in 1541-1542 as his group traveled through what is now the Hockley County Lamb County border area and saw a limestone bluff into which Indians had carved caves for shelter. It looked to the scouts as if they were yellow houses so they were called Las Casas Amarillas the yellow houses. Coronado’s group found the fresh water spring just below that bluff and of course named it Yellowhouse Springs. The name stuck and the southern division of the XIT Ranch was the Yellow House Division. Yellowhouse Draw running into Yellowhouse Canyon is part of the watershed for the Brazos River. The Spanish name for the river was Rio de los Brazos de Dios that translates to The River of the Arms of God. today you may visit the yellow houses and the dried up springs only by permission of the owner of Yellow House Ranch US Highway 385 north of Levelland south of Littlefield turn west on FM 597 ranch entrance six miles.

Captain Randolph B. Marcy (later Brigadier General) US Army made an expedition in 1852 to reach the headwaters of the Red River, and his report was titled Exploration of the Red River of Louisiana in the Year 1852 with Reports on the Natural History of the Country (U.S. Department of War 1853) He explored in the Big Spring area and north of Amarillo as well as the Llano Estacado proper.

John Miller Morris, El Llano Estacado: Exploration and Imagination in the High Plains of Texas and New Mexico, 1536-1860 (Texas State Historical Association (1997 paperback 2003) Texas Tech Library F392.L62 M67 Lubbock Public Library 976.48 M876L ABE Books in good condition $15 for pickup from Friends of the Lubbock Public Library at Mahon Library

Runningwater Draw runs into the city of Plainview where it gains the name White River and runs southeast into the reservoir known as White River Lake and farther southeast runs into the Salt Fork of the Brazos River near Clairemont Texas on US Highway 380 43 miles east of Post Texas. The Salt Fork and Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos converge near Rule Texas in Haskell County to form the Brazos River. The Clear Fork of the Brazos flows into the Brazos near Graham Texas. South of Graham a dam on the Brazos forms Possum Kingdom Lake (1938-1941). From there the Brazos runs southeast to Lake Granbury (completed 1969), Lake Whitney (completed 1951) and Lake Brazos at Waco (completed 1970), all reservoirs on the Brazos River.

In the 1950s this series of dams was proposed along the Brazos River in north-central Texas. For John Graves the project meant that if the stream’s regimen was changed, the beautiful and sometimes brutal surrounding countryside would also change, as would the lives of the people whose rugged ancestors had eked out an existence there. Graves therefore decided to visit that stretch of the river in 1957, which he had known intimately as a youth. He made a solo canoe trip out of it with his six month old dachshund dog whom he referred to as “the passenger”.

Goodbye to a River: A Narrative (Knopf 1960) is his account of that farewell canoe voyage. As he braves rapids and fatigue and the fickle autumn weather, he muses upon old blood feuds of the region and violent skirmishes with native tribes, and retells wild stories of courage and cowardice and deceit that shaped both the river’s people and the land during frontier times and later. Half a century after its initial publication, Goodbye to a River is a true American classic, a vivid narrative about an exciting journey and a powerful tribute to a vanishing way of life and its ever-changing natural environment. John Graves 1920-2013 was not a nature writer. He was a naturalist philosopher who could write well. He completed the Brazos River Trilogy by Hard Scrabble: Observations on a Patch of Land (Knopf 1973) and From a Limestone Ledge: Some Essays and Other Ruminations About Country Life in Texas (Knopf 1980). He died on this patch of land near Glen Rose Texas at age 92. His canoe paddle is in a museum on the campus of Texas State University in San Marcos Texas on the San Marcos River.

In 1957 he completed a three week canoe trip down a part of the Brazos River that he feared was about to be changed forever by the construction of dams. That resulted in an article published in Holiday Magazine. When it received a warm response he expanded the article into a book Goodbye To A River: A Narrative (Knopf 1960) that was nominated for the National Book Award. Texas Tech Library F392.B842 G7 reissued in 1961, 1989, 1991 and 2002 all at Texas Tech Library or Southwest Collection. Lubbock Public Library 976.4G776G He later moved to a plot of land near Glen Rose Texas and wrote about that landscape Hard Scrabble: Observations on a Patch of Land (Knopf 1974) Texas Tech Southwest Collection TEX 33 G776 and another From a Limestone Ledge: Some essays and other ruminations about country life in Texas (Knopf 1980) Texas Tech Southwest Collection TEX 33 G776 F931 reissued 2004 also at Tech Library PS3557.R2867 Z466. Lubbock Public Library as well. Some reissues have paired up with stellar photographers including Wyman Meinzer, e.g. Texas Rivers (University of Texas Press 2002) Lubbock Public Library 976.4009639 GRAV

Graves wrote mostly about the rolling plains country but his early short story set on the Llano Estacado is The Last Running, Atlantic Monthly, June 1959 reissued (Encino Press 1974) Texas Tech Library OVERSZ F392.L62 G77 reissued (Lyons & Burford 1990) at Lubbock Public Library, reissued by an extract in Lone Star Literature: A Texas Anthology From the Red River to the Rio Grande (ed. Don Graham, W.W. Norton & Co 2003) at pp. 143-159 ABE Books in good condition $3.95 incl s&h
Graves graduated from Rice Institute [now Rice University] in 1942 and served as an officer in the US Marine Corps in combat in the Pacific, where he lost the use of one eye.
National Ranching Heritage Center 3121 4th Street is comprised of outdoor spaces such as Gibson Park north of the entrance to the building, that contains 16 bronze longhorn steers representing the Trail Drive era, and south of the building is Proctor Park with restored authentic structures representing a variety of pioneer settlement and ranching activities. The constructed space has grown into a complex. The main building is the DeVitt-Mallet Building named for David DeVitt owner of the Mallet Ranch in Hockley County. It contains the John R. “Rich” Anderson Room which is the primary reception room and meeting area in the center of the building along the windows that face south onto the Campbell Patio outdoors. Anderson is a Gail Texas rancher. The Pioneer Room is off the Anderson Room to the southeast and is an enclosed classroom/meeting room. North of the Anderson Room are two art gallery spaces.

The west end of the building contains Cogdell’s General Store, the Burk Burnett Library & Reading Room, and the Christine DeVitt Gallery for display of artifacts and art. Samuel Burk Burnett was a legendary rancher in Texas history his brand being the four 6s or 6666. Christine DeVitt was David DeVitt’s oldest daughter who managed the ranch after her father’s death. The east end of the building includes the Georgia Mae Erickson Education Room that is a children’s library, and the offices for the Center’s staff. Helen DeVitt Jones was David DeVitt’s youngest daughter. See Helen Jones Foundation Inc. on 74th Street in Lubbock. David Murrah, Oil Taxes and Cats: A History of the DeVitt Family and the Mallet Ranch (Texas Tech University Press 1994) Texas Tech Library F394.M294 M87 and Lubbock Public Library 976.4846 M9790 ABE Books new $10.44 incl s&h