Archive | June, 2013

Arts History Update for mid July 2013

30 Jun

Arts History Update for mid July 2013 by David Cummins

New e-mail address for Cummins after hacking incident June 28 is above.

Hannah Arendt (Zeitgeist Films 2013 director Margarethe von Trotta) is a movie about the storied philosopher. The cast is outstanding.

Here is a bio on her


Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Texas Tech University is sponsoring a tour of the exterior murals in Hale Center, a city 36 miles north of Lubbock off Interstate Highway 27, on Tuesday July 23, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. led by Dr. Ray Freeman, a retired physician and artist who painted the first mural and painted, co-painted or instigated the other ten murals. This community outpouring of its self-image into visual art is historic. Dr. Freeman’s tour and explanation will be video-recorded by Southwest Collection Special Collections Library of Texas Tech University personnel led by Monte Monroe and Holle Humphries.

For information about Dr. Freeman and to see images of the murals

The specific location for the beginning of the tour is Library Plaza one-half block south of Vista Bank at 701 Main Street in Hale Center. Anyone is free to just drive there. OLLI is providing a twelve person van for its members who don’t wish to drive or ride in a car pool. $15 registration at 806-742-6554. Other OLLI members and the public can meet in the parking lot of McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center at Texas Tech University where car-pooling is available and cars can be left in the parking lot for the afternoon. OLLI people register and pay $5. Lubbock Heritage Society is co-sponsoring the tour and charging its members or the public a similar $5 fee. University Avenue at 18th Street is the entrance to the Alumni Center. Departure from the parking lot for Hale Center will occur between 12:45 and 1:00 p.m.


Murals in Lubbock and nearby  ………

Concrete abutment on Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard near Mae Simmons Community Center and Dunbar School off 23rd Street “Wall Of Inspiration” (2000) by Vivian Cooke, retired LISD art teacher. Acrylic painting on concrete.

Description: A large mural depicting historical and inspirational vignettes of African-American life in the Lubbock area. It includes images of Tuskegee Airmen, a space shuttle blasting off in honor of Black astronauts such as Bernard Harris a Texas Tech University graduate. It also includes children playing, students in caps and gowns, workers toiling in a field, a church congregation, the Buffalo Soldiers, an African mask, and the Lubbock city skyline.

History: Vivian Cooke was a retired public school art teacher and long-time resident of the Dunbar-Manhattan Heights neighborhood. Local artist and internationally renowned sculptor Eddie Dixon described Cooke as “a great talent and an up-and-coming sculptor.” The Buddy Holly Center donated art supplies, volunteers and equipment. A $4,000 grant was awarded by the city of Lubbock on recommendation of the Lubbock Arts Alliance to help with funding. The purpose of the mural is to provide inspiration for African-American youth in the neighborhood. It demonstrates the hard work of previous generations and shows opportunities outside of professional sports and music.

Other artwork by artist/places exhibited: “Sandlot Player” sculpture in Mae Simmons Park, East 23rd Street is by Vivian Cooke

American Wind Power Center and Museum “Windmill Mural” (2009) by LaGina Fairbetter 1701 Canyon Lake Drive is 4 by 5 foot boarded over aluminum panels 34 feet by 172 feet height and length primed and then painted with acrylic paint by powered airbrushing, finished off as needed by hand brushwork. When you are at the Center please notice the largest mural in Lubbock in the west side covered patio area. There is a DVD video at the Center showing the process of design, preparation and execution of the mural. A shorter version is on the website. Art Daily newspaper wrote

Patterson Library Community Room “Celebration of Life” (1997) by Lahib Jaddo five panels oil on canvas although usually she uses acrylic on a linen base that is serviceable after only one application of gesso.

Aztlan Mural(1994) by Emanuel Martinez in Aztlan Park 101 Avenue J between 1st Street and 1st Place 3942 Vine Street Morrison CO acrylic on cinder block. This mural is in need of immediate restoration and preservation. The park was a site for Comancheros to bring their trade goods to trade with the Comanches. It was a site in the early 20th century for a migrant labor camp of Hispanic workers.

Javier Martinez and Art Corp students in SMART program, On a Wing and a Prayer Mural (1997) inside Maggie Trejo Community Center in Rodgers Park at 3200 Amherst St depicts field workers harvesting, tilling and planting crops, onions, pecans, corn, grapes, melon, pumpkin, cotton, okrah, bald-headed eagle with both American and Mexican flags trailing, three books, computer monitor with E-MC2, family pushing wheel-chaired person, and couple on staircase to their future. Source of information is Nancy Neill at City about title and artist and date. Community Development Block Grants are federal monies distributed by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD to states through Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs which sends it along to the City of Lubbock Fine Arts Center to spend on creating this mural.

These Hispanic scene murals recall to us the 1920s and 1930s when the Mexican Mural Movement or Mexican Mural Renaissance burst on the world stage, primarily through three Mexican artists Diego Rivera 1886 – 1957, Jose Clemente Orozco 1883 – 1949, and David Alfaro Siqueiros 1896 – 1974. Other Latin American muralists followed. See books such as Desmond Rochfort, Mexican Muralists: Orozco, Rivera, Siqueiros (Universe 1994) Texas Tech Library ND2644.R54 and MacKinley Helm, Mexican Painters: River, Orozco, Siqueiros, and Other Artists of the Social Realist School (Dover Pub’ns rev. ed. 1989) Texas Tech Library ND255.H41.

Memorial Civic Center south concourse hallway “A Tribute to Our Heritage(1986) by Millard Sheets watercolor on linen. The design for the mural is at offering for sale the 1985 watercolor painting matted and framed signed by Sheets in the mat for $17,000, that was the source from which the mural was painted mostly by Susan Hertel nee Lauritari and assistants employed by Sheets who was 69 years of age when the mural
was painted. Millard Sheets Center for the Arts in Pomona California

Susan Hertel is described below

Bank of America downtown lobby one mosaic mural on Italian travertine on west wall, and one painted on wallboard east interior wall by Millard Sheets (1960) with Susan Lauritari, when it was Lubbock National Bank and before it made iterations into Bank of America. Mosaic mural depicts the Aztec Nahuatl Meso-American culture and mythology. Painted mural depicts European contact and development by stages in this rural area and contact with Native Americans. Sheets was well known for his mosaic designs for 80 branches of Home Savings of America in California. He worked with Denis O’Connor Mosaics in producing those murals. Sheets 1907 – 1989 was honored by institutions named for him; e.g. Millard Sheets School of Art at Scripps College in Claremont California, and Millard Sheets Gallery in Pomona California.

Mosaic Mural at Bank of America Building over entrance at 916 Main Street depicts community development efforts and bank support for it (1961). Near the east entrance is a mosaic mural titled The Fair. Millard Sheets and his son Tony did the mural painting of prairie fowl in the north hallway in 1983. Following is a photograph of Pomona First Federal Savings & Loan Association Mural similar to the one inside the Lubbock National Bank Building in 1960. In 1959 Sheets did a 30 foot high mosaic mural on the exterior of Mercantile Continental Building in downtown Dallas Texas. Tony Sheets and his father Millard Sheets painted Horses in Garden (1983) which hangs in the Texas Tech Museum central hallway adjacent to the galleries. Photo of Tony Sheets working on saving his father’s mural at San Jose California airport.!/photo.php?pid=281120&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=94655798071&aid=-1&id=1741708421&oid=94655798071&fbid=1154314875005

Mercantile Continental Bank Building in Dallas (1959) is an exterior 30 feet high bas-relief mosaic mural that caught the attention of Charles Maedgen, and the rest is history.

See a slide show of murals in that building at Millard Sheets papers are collected at the Smithsonian Institution including Box 15 Reel 5697 records relating to Lubbock National Bank. See a blog about Home Savings Murals and Mosaics<>

Buddy Holly et al. Mural,exterior Texas Discount Furniture store 19th St & Buddy Holly Avenue by Lynn Burton (1997) acrylic paint on concrete cinder block owned by Bobby Montgomery of Montgomery Furniture Store across the alley to the east. Ultra violet rays protective transparent glaze was applied and is freshened periodically by Burton. He is a musician who was deeply affected by rock and roll and says his fee was a kiss blown to him by Maria Elena Holly. Phyllis Jones may say otherwise. Charles Hardin “Buddy” Holley was known professionally as Buddy Holly. Mural includes other characters such as The Crickets members Jerry Allison on drums, Joe B. Mauldin on bass, and Sonny Curtis on vocals and guitar, and Peggy Sue Gerron who was Jerry Allison’s girlfriend when Holly wrote and recorded Peggy Sue in 1957. After her marriage to Allison Holly wrote and recorded Peggy Sue Got Married in 1958. Holly died in February 1959 in an airplane crash near Clear Lake Iowa. KDAV-AM1 broadcaster Larry Byers is shown relative to Holly’s working at the radio station prior to becoming a star. Norman Petty, a Clovis New Mexico recording studio owner is depicted. There is another Buddy Holly Mural at J. T. Hutchinson Middle School 31st Street and Canton Avenue which Holly attended as a junior high school student. It’s on the stairway landing going up to the second story of the building. Amy Thomas painted the mural in 2005, acrylic on concrete. She was then an art teacher at Hutch, and now is at Ramirez Elementary School. A radio station website has photographs of the crashed airplane in the snowy field outside Clear Lake.

Lynn Burton has a mural on the south interior wall at Schooner’s Bar & Grill at 1617 University Avenue Rat Pack (1998) which features Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Marilyn Monroe, Meg Ryan, Madonna, Richard Nixon, and others. Some humor is present in the images. While the Crickets band members are shown as Allison, Mauldin and Curtis, they sometimes used Niki Sullivan, and sometimes Don Guess as band members. The Bob Montgomery who owns the furniture store was Buddy’s classmate at J.T. Hutchinson Junior High School and played music with Buddy before the Crickets band was formed.

Godeke Branch Library on Slide Road has a mural of famous writers on the south wall, left there when Barnes & Noble vacated.

John Wayne Mural by Peck on west exterior and Lynn Burton, Medlock Land & Cattle Co. Chuckwagon Meal Mural ( ) are on the Medlock Building 519 Main Street on exterior south wall facing parking lot near the now absent Santa Fe depot. Medlock Land & Cattle Co. was the original owner of the Muleshoe Ranch, Top of Texas Ranch, Laughlin Mountain Ranch, and Clearfork Petroleum Corporation.

John Russell Thomasson, Caprock Canyon (1995) wrap around mural inside the Cactus Theatre. See others by Thomasson such as Randy Allee’s Classic Cars and Caprock Cafe walls at 3405 34th Street. Inside the Cafe the east wall is Hogg Spraying(1997) depicting a small crop-dusting airplane circling over cotton fields. What is significant is that the tail section of the mural’s airplane is a high relief sculpture that extends off the wall into space above dining tables. On the west interior wall is IndianPing-Pong(1997) featuring an Indian chief making a winning shot against a cowboy. The table is set up out of doors on the range with Indians and typical small ranching town characters watching the inter-ethnic ping-pong match-up. Another Caprock Cafe at 5217 82nd Street in Rockridge Plaza Shopping Center has two more Thomasson murals, one with a Crop Duster 3D and one with Indians. for a gallery of Thomasson murals.

Many of the Abuelo’s Restaurant murals are by Thomasson.

Bart Soutendijk, Wire Wall Murals(2008) in Texas Tech Physicians Medical Pavilion

Three murals in International Cultural Center by John Russell Thomasson. Two are sepia murals in the curved hallways outside the Hall of Nations “Arid Lands Muraland “Education Mural. In the vestibule of the Hall of Nations is a full color oil on plaster mural “Peoples of the World” (1997) is a website containing Thomasson’s Lubbock Texas Montage mural featuring Buddy Holly. In Texas Tech Museum for the Ice Age on the Southern Plains permanent exhibit, the north wall mural is by Thomasson based on research by Lubbock Lake Landmark scholars into the late Pleistocene period. Thomasson’s business is John R. Thomasson & Associates Special Effects Art at 5531 Woodrow Road Lubbock TX 79424 806-863-4566 email

Murals and Diorama Gallery at Lubbock Lake Landmark Bob Nash Interpretive Center by Nola Davis and Mike O’Brien

Our Place Mural, Littlefield Texas and William McVey, West Texas (1948) two tymestone wall sculpture pieces on Post Office now used as Lamb County Library in Littlefield Texas

Norvell Maples Murals, acrylic airbrushing and painting of murals 4509 Highway 84 Clovis Road co-owner of Artary, exhibits at Wayland Baptist University

Walls of Art by Jamie Alcorta faux finish fine art murals

Texas Tech Museum lobby upper left wall is Peter Rogers’s black and white India ink 17 by 40 foot mural (1973) depicting a dam in a creek near San Patricio New Mexico’s Sentinel Ranch, emphasizing the value of water in a semi-arid region. TTU President Grover Murray attempted to hire Peter Hurd to create this mural but he was busy and suggested his son in-law Peter Rogers. Rogers received another commission as a hand-off from Peter Hurd in Texas Moves Toward Statehood(1964) lobby of Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building in Austin Texas

Mural at 3821 34th Street south side of street west of Memphis Avenue at Dog Gone Beautiful dog grooming salon. Perspectives and other spacial techniques are poor.

Mural of notable fictional and literary characters in books in new Barnes & Noble Booksellers store at South Plains Mall.

Mural at Baker Brothers American Deli on Slide Road

Graffiti Art Mural(2009) on renamed Graffiti Education Building 5th Street and Avenue J downtown, on campus of LHUCA. Artist is Joey “Wise One” Martinez who painted the mural during an annual Dia de los Muertos [Day of the Dead] Celebration and exhibition of art at LHUCA. An irony is that as a boy Martinez surreptitiously painted graffiti on Lubbock buildings including this very building when it was owned by the City of Lubbock. In 2009 as an adult and an accomplished graffiti artist, Martinez was invited by LHUCA to paint the building. Recently Aug 31 – Sept 4, 2010 he exhibited other graffiti work at this location. Joey “Wise One” Martinez website is His My Space page is Street art is very popular around the country. Jaime Rojo et al., Street Art New York (Prestel 2010) Tech Library ND2638.N4 R644

Richard H. Ellis, Four figure group bas-relief cast concrete on wall depicting a student, rancher, physician, and building contractor (1980) south edge of parking lot at Court Place Building Lubbock National Bank headquarters building Main Street at Texas Avenue

Bob McClelland, Higginbotham Bartlett Building (1996) and Peoples Bank Building (1996) in Lorenzo, Texas.

and Lorenzo Murals Project by several artists including the Corner Grocery Market Mural

Bill “Tex” Wilson, Slaton Heritage Mural(1998) at 9th and Garza Streets in downtown Slaton Texas. Slaton Chamber of Commerce manager reports that thereafter it was a/ completed by convicted persons performing community service, and b/ touched up, and c/ completely refurbished in 2009. Later learned that Shannon Cannings was employed to do the refurbishing and she had assistance from community service people.

Dawson County Courthouse Murals (2005-2006) painted by jail inmates

Joe D. Taylor, Llano Estacado Mural (1986) at Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum in Crosbyton www

book Philip Parisi, The Texas Post Office Murals: Art for the People (Texas A&M Univ. Press 2004) Texas Tech Library Southwest Collection TEX 68 P232 T355 you may read Collection materials in the Holden Reading Room but may not borrow them to take outside the building.

Jose Aceves, Big City News (1939) in Post Office initially and now in Hutchinson County Museum in Borger Texas

Jenne Magafan, Cowboy Dance(1941) Anson Texas

Peter Hurd, Old Pioneers Mural (1939) Big Spring Texas Post Office relocated to U.S. District Court Building

Hale Center Texas downtown murals by multiple artists working in teams include:

Downtown (1999) by Ruth Barnett, Ray Freeman, Glenn Lyles, Betty Bradley, LaNora Wood, Merry Cargill, Claudia West and Mary Lou Nivens.

The Homesteaders (1999) by Ray Freeman, LaNora Wood, Ruth Barnett and Glenn Lyles

Hi-Plains Oasis (1999) by Glenn Lyles, Ray Freeman, Ruth Barnett, Deane White, Claudia West, Mary Lou Nivens and Matt Davis

The Sodbuster (1998) by Ray Freeman, Candace Keller, Glenn Lyles and Ruth Barnett

Whistle Stop (2001) by Glenn Lyles, Mary Lou Nivens, Ray Freeman, Marjorie Freeman and LaNora Wood

Early Newspaper The Live Wire 1894-1896 (2002) by Ray Freeman

Buffalo Hunters (?) by ?

Western Cuisine (2001) by Ray Freeman and Marjorie Freeman

Coronado on the High Plains (?) by Ray Freeman, Mary Lou Nivens, Marjorie Freeman, Debbie Burnett and Thomas Henderson

Milkin’ Time (2001) by Mary Lou Nivens, J.A. Nivens, Ray Freeman, Marjorie Freeman, Dick Lemond and LuAnn Lemond

Harvest Time (2003)

Frank Mechau, Ranchers of the Panhandle Fighting Prairie Fire with Skinned Steer(1940) Brownfield Texas Post Office interior lobby wall now used as Brownfield Police Station Headquarters and renamed Public Safety Building at 120 North 5th Street … US. Highways 380 and 82 travel west on West Main Street turn north on North 5th Street second building The image of the skinned steer with ropes held by two riders dragging the steer through the grain field that’s on fire, may take some explaining. Killing and flailing the steer gave the two riders something wet to drag across the field to make a fire break line and thus stop the advance of the fire through the field. Notice the rider on the left has a short shovel in his hand. That was used to dig a ditch or trench next to the dragged steer line to help establish a fire break line. In contemporary times relative to forest fires, chemical retardant is dropped by aircraft to establish a fire break line, and that is parallel to what is achieved by dragging the flailed steer.

Tom Lea [Thomas Calloway Lea III] ,Stampede (1940) Odessa Texas Post Office

Tom Lea, Comanches (1942) Seymour Post Office. Lea has a Gallery named for him in the El Paso Museum of Art

Harold Bugbee, The Cattleman(1934) Canyon Texas Panhandle Plains Historical Museum ; Ben Mead, Coronado’s Coming (1934) same location; Ben Mead, Antelope Creek (1940) same location; Gastaf Sunstrom, Prehistoric Mammals(1934) same location; Francis Ankrom, Strays (1938) same location

Enid Bell, On the Range (1941) Hereford Texas wood relief mural

Fletcher Martin, The Horse Breakers (1940) Lamesa Texas Post Office

Wolverine Country Mural ( ) Earth Texas

Welcome to Earth Mural (1924) Earth Texas

The Spirit of Texas and Its People Begins With the Land at Lubbock National Bank 4811 50th Street is a mosaic mural over the front door entrance to the bank.

Buddy Holly Mural (2006) painted by Shannon Cannings with assistance of boys and girls on west exterior of Optimist Branch of Boys and Girls Club of Lubbock, 3301 Cornell Street off North Indiana Avenue four blocks south of Erskine Street. The composition features Buddy while singing, a Coral Records recording, a jukebox, a Fender Stratocaster guitar, Hi-D-Ho Drive-in with period cars in front, and an image of the Buddy Holly Center with the signature steel glass frames out front.

John Russell Thomasson, Blacksmith Shop Mural(1997) south exterior wall of Alfred B Greer Building, 19th Street and Buddy Holly Avenue. Painted from a 1914 photograph of Ed Greer [center with hammer at the anvil] and two helpers in Greer’s blacksmith shop in Alvin Texas in 1914. Greer moved to Lubbock the following year where he did smithing and opened Greer’s Blacksmith Shop in 1933 with his son Alfred B Greer at 1824 Avenue H in a wooden building location. In 1946 Alfred built the brick and steel Alfred B Greer Building which housed Greer’s Iron Works until 2003 when it was moved to North Avenue T. In 1947 an adjoining building was constructed at 1822 Avenue H by Gene Greer for his Motor Machine Shop, now operated as Tornado Art Gallery by Tony Greer, grandson of Ed and son of Alfred, by Jennifer Greer, Tony’s wife, and by Larry Simmons. type in Tony Greer’s Photos – The Story Behind the Mural. Tony Greer is a neon sculpture artist, and Jennifer Greer is a mixed media artist.

Historic Murals of San Angelo, Inc. includes the recent Elmer Kelton Mural celebrating the life of the recently deceased writer.

Denver City Texas four exterior murals on Museum, a former elementary school, and four Firemen Murals on a separate building

Marsha Sharp Freeway in Lubbock at select intersections has bas-relief concrete murals designed by Michael Ford, artist in Austin with the Bridge Division of Texas Department of Transportation. Many can be seen on the TxDOT website in the May 2006 and August 2007 project newsletters For the most part they are scenes of the llano in its agricultural setting but at Avenue L there is a Celebration of the Arts mural just north of Lubbock Memorial Civic Center and Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts. Bas-relief is a French term meaning low relief where a design element is slightly more prominent than the overall background. Its opposite would be alto relief which means high relief where a design element is quite prominent in its extension away from the background. An example would be the Hogg Sprayingmural at Caprock Cafe.

Guisela Latorre, Walls of Empowerment: Chicana/o Indigenist Murals of California (Univ of Texas Press 2008) Texas Tech Library Southwest Collection 68 L358 W215

Murals at Covenant Women’s & Children’s Hospital 4000 24th Street painted by Jamie Lankford and Marc Watson, with child-comforting murals

Dave’s Need 4 Speed, 2769 North Frankford Avenue 79416 south of Clovis Highway go-karts and laser tag by Marc Watson

Pet Smart 6801 Slide Road 79424 dogs and cats mural by Marc Watson


To cut down on your cost of purchasing books, how do you know if a book in which you are interested is in a lending library in your area? Go to the website and search by author or title and then click on the book. Type in your zip code in the search box and you immediately learn if the book is in any public or lending library in or near your zip code. For Lubbock folks that may be Lubbock Public Library and Texas Tech University Library. If the book is in one of those places go to its website to learn the catalog numbers/letters for shelving so you can go there and peruse and perhaps check it out.

A secondary reason for using this technique is that WorldCat will also tell you where else that book is located, and if you see it in other libraries you know how easy it will be to ask Texas Tech or Lubbock Public Library to borrow the book from the other library and get it here in town so you can pick it up and read. That’s the inter-library loan service.


Arts History Update for early July 2013

27 Jun

Arts History Update for early July 2013 by David Cummins







On June 15, 1215,King John of England placed his seal on the Magna Carta[Great Charter], granting basic liberties to his subjects.He wasn’t the first English king to grant a charter, but he was the first to have it forced on him by his barons. He had taxed the Church and the barons heavily to fund the Third Crusade, defend his holdings in Normandy, and pay for unsuccessful wars, and England was on the brink of civil war. The charter limited the monarchy’s absolute power and paved the way for the formation of Parliament, and it is the nearest thing to a “Bill of Rights” that Britain has ever had. It guaranteed, among other things, that “No free man shall be arrested, or imprisoned, or deprived of his property, or outlawed, or exiled or in any way destroyed, nor shall we go against him or send against him, unless by legal judgment of his peers, or by the law of the land.”

Of course, John had no intention of upholding the document, and it was repealed almost immediately on the grounds that he gave his seal under duress. But the idea had taken root, and through a succession of subsequent charters, it became the basis for the British legal system and, in turn, the legal systems of most of the world’s democracies. Parts of the United States Constitution were lifted directly from the Magna Carta, and it is so central to our own idea of law that the American Bar Association erected a monument at the meadow of Runnymede. The yew tree, under which the signing is believed to have taken place, still stands.





[I thought happiness was Lubbock] Texas in My Rear View Mirror (1980) by Mac Davis can be heard on this You Tube video. Baby, Don’t Get Hooked On Me (1972) was the breakthrough song and album title that launched Mac into stardom.


Mac Davis Lane in Lubbock is named for the former resident who was born here. It extends from University Avenue east to Texas Avenue passing by the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center whose address is 1501 Mac Davis Lane. reminds us that he is in the Songwriter Hall of Fame.




Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It, and other stories (University of Chicago Press 1976) contains the novella A River Runs Through It and may be read at Texas Tech Library PS3563.A16 R6. A Robert Redford directed movie A River Runs Through It (1992) was a hit. It is currently being replayed on television’s Sundance Channel at various times from June 17 through July 18. If you don’t get that channel, you can view it as a Columbia Tri-Star 124 minute home video at the Texas Tech University Southwest Collection Special Collections Library PN1997.R58 (1999).


A coming of age and family bonding / un-bonding / re-bonding story set in and near Missoula Montana, two sons, one rebellious the other a reflective writer, of a stern Presbyterian pastor, live their lives from 1919 to 1941.


This partially or semi-autobiographical tale by an admired writer was important for that reason as well, but stands alone on its own merit.




At the Texas Tech University Southwest Collection Special Collections Library there is a newspaper collection and within it one can find The Big Spring Daily Herald of Big Spring Texas and four of its very significant issues; viz., April 26, 1936 “Progress Through Ten Years, Oil Production”, October 2, 1949 “100 Years Anniversary Edition”, July 18, 1954 “Cosden Anniversary Edition”, and January 19, 1964 “Progress Edition”. 1949 certainly was not the 100 year anniversary of the newspaper or town, but rather of the Anglo-significant marking of the place when Captain Randolph Marcy U.S. Army Engineers came by this spot in 1849 and found the spring that Comanche Indians used. He placed it on his maps of the area and its importance for Anglos thereafter was assured. Because it was a good-sized spring it was called big spring.


Cosden relates to the oil refinery established by Cosden Petroleum Corporation in Big Spring in the late 1920s. Here is Josh Cosden’s bio


Captain Marcy is the man who explored West Texas and the high plains searching for the headwaters of the Red River including the fork that runs through Palo Duro Canyon. He found the headwaters in 1852 and published his findings Randolph Marcy, Exploration of the Red River of Louisiana in the year 1852 Texas Tech University Southwest Collection SPL22.1 M322 R312 (US Gov Doc 1853)





At the Djerassi Foundation in the Santa Cruz Mountains there are more than 50 pieces of sculpture installed on the grounds. Twenty-three of them are on the 4-1/2 hour walking tour $50 led by the Executive Director Margot Knight between April and October when weather permits. It’s up and down hillsides so not for the faint of breath or ambulation. The annual Open House is Sunday July 28 reservations required $35 at which there will be open artist-in-residence studios, dance and music performances, and literary readings. Djerassi Resident Artists Program is the principal activity and the location is 2325 Bear Gulch Road, Woodside California 94062-4405 phone 650-747-1250 e-mail The location is about 15 miles west of Stanford University and Interstate Highway 280 Junipero Serra Freeway using Sand Hill Road, Potola Road, California Highway 84, California Highway 35, and Bear Gulch Road. Carl Djerassi is the founder of the Foundation and Program back in 1979.


He is a professor of chemistry emeritus at Stanford. His recent play Foreplay: Hannah Arendt, the Two Adornos, and Walter Benjamin (2011)  deals with philosophers Hannah Arendt, Walter Benjamin, Theodor and Gretel Adorno, and their concerns and interactions. Haven’t seen the play performed or even read the play, but it recalls for me another play about philosophers during the early days of World War II, Copenhagen (1998) by Michael Frayn. In September 1941 the younger Werner Heisenberg, head of Germany’s nuclear energy project, paid a visit to Neils Bohr, Danish physicist, in Copenhagen. The interaction during that visit and how it may have influenced or affected subsequent actions by both men is dramatized in the play. Bohr later escaped to Sweden and thence to the United States where he became active in the Manhattan Project. Heisenberg returned to Germany and some people speculate that he slowed the research on atomic fission and fusion physics due to a concern about how the Third Reich would use that capability. I was moved by watching the play Copenhagen on Broadway.





Am a fan of abstract art in general and interpretive abstract art in particular so Bluestem by Lee Albert Hill at LHUCA’s Christine DeVitt Exhibition Hall June 7 through July 27, 2013 is very appealing. Repeated visits are energizing. Linear and geometric spaces in acrylic paint, grass and paint overlaid on canvas and then exposed to ambient outdoor weather, reveal natural forms that are then over-painted. The reductive contrasting patterns that evolve, express bold forms that stretch our imaginations. Bluestem is a native prairie grass on the southern high plains. Here are images of the Bluestem series of paintings Hill is both architect and artist so one interpretation is looking for a visual transition from natural space to the built occupation of space produced by an architect.


Reductive art—Reductive-Art—Creatively-Simple&id=3429938 is discussed here.





The Center for Contemporary Arts, 220 Cypress Street in downtown Abilene Texas is home for more than 70 artist members, has ten working studios, four galleries for exhibitions, and sponsors a monthly Art Walk on the second Thursday evening 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. It’s a free fun evening of art and entertainment. The next Art Walk is July 11 and the theme is the annual Car Walk on Cypress Street exhibiting new and antique cars, muscle and stock cars, luxury cars, and funny / funky cars.


If you go to Abilene make time for The Grace Museum at 102 Cypress Street including its Childrens Museum. The museum resulted from a 1992 restoration and renovation of the historic Grace Hotel. Here is a You Tube video of Abilene architect Rick Weatherl speaking about the preservation and renovation process. Grace Hotel opened in 1909, named for the owner’s daughter, sited across the street from The Texas & Pacific Railroad depot, welcoming visitors to Abilene. In the 1930s it became the Drake Hotel until 1973 when it was closed until the 1992 renovation and re-purposing.


Cedar Break Gallery of Fine Art is also Barry Arthur’s working studio for making Western sculpture and paintings. Located at 957 North 2nd Street.


Cockerell Galleries and Studios contains the working studios of twelve artists and a gallery operated by Abilene Christian University School of Art & Design Located at 1133 North 2nd Street.


Frontiers Texas! is a museum / multimedia facility featuring life-size holographic images that tell the story of the Texas frontier from 1780 to 1880. Located at 625 North 1st Street.


12th Armored Division Memorial Museum relates to the storied performance by that Army unit in the second World War. and is located at 1289 North 2nd Street.


Jennings House Museum is across the street from Abilene Christian University at 1602 Campus Court in northeast Abilene.


National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature is located at 102 Cedar Street.


Here is a historical walking tour of downtown Abilene Texas


The ruins at Fort Phanton Hill, a U.S. Army post from 1851 – 1854 on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River can be seen by traveling 11 miles north of Abilene on Farm to Market Road 600.


Buffalo Gap Historic Village is a museum consisting of fifteen separate structures. It opened in 1879 and is eight miles southwest of Abilene on Buffalo Gap Road Farm to Market Road 89.


Dyess Air Force Base is nearly adjacent to the west southwest of Abilene and is the site for hop aboard free Space Available Travel by veterans like myself. Phone 325-696-8199 for a recorded current schedule of flights. Cargo aircraft have none of the amenities of commercial flights but a free ride is just that. Here is what passes for art at Dyess AFB mostly graphics for patches, posters and signage. It was opened in 1942 as Abilene Army Air Base and is now home to the 7th Bomb Wing of Air Combat Command.


Hardin-Simmons University is at 2200 Hickory Street in north Abilene. McMurry University is at 1401 Sayles Boulevard in south Abilene.




What places or sites in Lubbock County are listed on the National Register of Historic Places? Of course you can go to the Internet location for the National Park Service and then to the Register or and then select the state and county desired and click on search. Up jumps the list.


Another way to answer the question is to go to the Texas Historical Commission’s atlas at and in the county box select Lubbock and in the type box select National Register of Historic Places. Up jumps the list.


Lubbock Lake Archaeological Site

Warren and Myrta Bacon House

Cactus Theater

Canyon Lakes Archaeological District

Carlock Building

Fort Worth & Denver South Plains Railway Depot

William Curry Holden and Olive Price Holden House

Holden Properties Historic District

Kress Building

Lubbock High School

Lubbock Post Office and Federal Building

Fred and Annie Snyder House

South Overton Residential Historic District

Texas Technological College Dairy Barn and Silo

Texas Technological College Historic District

Tubbs-Carlisle House


If some of those locations aren’t readily known to you, here’s current information:


Lubbock Lake Landmark is north of the juncture of Clovis Highway and North Loop 289 and contains the archaeological site. The Landmark is a division of Texas Tech University Museum.


The Bacon House is at 1802 Broadway Street just west of Avenue Q and is owned by the Diocese of Northwest Texas of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America. It serves as Bishop Sam B. Hulsey Episcopal Center.


Cactus Theater, once a movie theater, is now an active performance stage located at 1812 Buddy Holly Avenue, formerly Avenue H, and is owned and operated by Don Caldwell and Caldwell Productions.


Canyon Lakes Archaeological District is the entire six lake Jim Bertram Canyon Lakes System extending from northwest to southeast Lubbock and connecting several parks, from the Buddy Holly Recreation Area to the Dunbar Lake areas with Mackenzie Park and its Lake in the middle. Paleolithic encampments and usage predate our current usage. Comanchero trading took place here with Comanche Indians and a sign indicates that activity at Aztlan Park just west of Mackenzie Park.


Carlock Building, later known as New Cotton Exchange Building, formerly entered at 1001 13th Street facing north on 13th Street, is now 1302 Texas Avenue facing east. It opened in 1930, its architect being J.B. Davies & Company who designed it in the art deco style. It is now owned and carefully and tastefully restored by attorneys Glasheen, Valles & Inderman


Fort Worth & Denver South Plains Railway Depot is the west facing building on Crickets Avenue that is part of the Buddy Holly Center at 1801 Crickets Avenue, formerly Avenue G, at 19th Street and is the depot for which the surrounding area is named The Depot District.


William Curry Holden and Olive Price Holden House at 3109 20th Street was built and owned by Curry and his wife. He spent the major part of his long career at Texas Tech beginning in 1929 as a historian and anthropologist and was the first director of the Texas Technological College Museum, the person for whom Holden Hall, a major academic building, is named and for whom Holden Reading Room in the Southwest Collection Special Collections Library building is named. He and Olive named the house Casa Grande and it was constructed in 1931 as an adobe house in the pueblo revival style. Olive was an artist and librarian and worked with the architect James Atcheson so the house became a paradigm of historical and architectural integrity. For the young couple it was their dream home and was furnished with authentic Indian craftsmen/women items. Unfortunately Olive died in 1937. Curry remarried Frances Mayhugh in 1939 and she lived with him in the house for decades.


Holden Properties Historic District is a series of five houses on 20th Street inspired by Curry and Olive Holden’s home and they are collectively known as Adobe Row completed by 1939.


Kress Building at 1109 Broadway Street in downtown Lubbock was opened in 1932 designed by architect Edward F. Sibbert in the Spanish Mission / Spanish Colonial Revival styles. It was intended as a commercial department store just two short city blocks west of the courthouse.


Lubbock High School or Thomas Saltus Lubbock High School was named for the person for whom the county and city were named. He was active in the Texas Revolution and a merchant active into the Civil War 1817 – 1862. Located at 2004 19th Street, the building was begun in 1930 and completed in 1948 by architects Haynes & Kirby and Peters, Strange & Bradshaw. It is known for its terra cotta decorated foundations and positioned ceramic tiles designed to complement the Spanish Renaissance Colonial Revival style at Texas Technological College. A blend of motifs include outstanding North Italian Romanesque Revival and Mozarabic features. It has a campanile bell tower and red tile pavilion roof. Currently there is a kitchen and dining hall building under construction to the east, replacing a discarded church building.


Lubbock Post Office and Federal Building is at 800 Broadway Street east of the County Courthouse. It opened in 1932 designed in the Classical Revival style by James A. Wetmore. The building is currently owned by Lubbock County and is available for purchase.


Fred and Annie Snyder House on 19th Street between Boston Avenue and Canton Avenue, later acquired by Retha Martin in 1943 so sometimes called the Martin House, was built in 1928 to a design by Sylvan B. Haynes in colonial revival style.


South Overton Residential Historic District is bounded by Broadway Street to the north, 19th Street to the south, Avenue Q to the east, and University Avenue to the west. It has 393 properties that contribute to the historic designation. The district was opened in 1907.


Texas Technological College Dairy Barn was completed in 1927 two years after the College opened. It is located to the west and a bit south of the present Library.


Texas Technological College Historic District is bounded by Flint Avenue on the west, University Avenue on the east, 6th Street on the north, and 19th Street on the south.


Tubbs-Carlisle House at 602 Fulton Avenue was completed in 1908 designed in the Queen Anne style. Isham Tubbs and his brother in-law Gus Carlisle built the house. Texana Tubbs was Isham’s wife. Gus Carlisle was a farmer west of Lubbock for whom the community of Carlisle was named. 4th Street and Frankford Avenue is a major intersection just outside northwest Loop 289. A block west of the intersection is Fulton Avenue and two blocks south is 6th Street.




Don’t you love it when baseball is played and the story book ending and the real life ending match up? The Western Division of the American League leader Oakland Athletics were in Seattle on June 23 to play the Mariners. It was the bottom of the tenth inning with the game tied 3-3 when pinch hitter Kendrys Morales came to bat and hit a three-run home run. Dejected Athletics players were walking off the field while Morales was rounding the bases and 22,813 loyal fans at Safeco Field were wildly celebrating a 6-3 victory. It doesn’t get much better than that in the baseball world.


In the college ranks the Spring semester is long over but the NCAA College World Series playoffs is just ending. The two teams remaining are Mississippi State 51-18 and UCLA 47-17 in a best of three playoff for the crown. The location is TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha Nebraska. The victor is the UCLA Bruins winning the first game 3-1 and the second 8-0.




Jenny Moore, associate curator at the New Museum in New York City, has taken the position of Executive Director of Chinati Foundation in Marfa Texas. She will be on duty August 1.



























Arts History Update for late June 2013

17 Jun

Arts History Update for late June 2013 by David Cummins


Abernathy Jamboree on Main Street is a monthly street fair in Abernathy Texas 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. second Saturday of each month in Summertime. Check it out on July 13 and August 10. One of the unique aspects is a display of classic automobiles. There is music, vendors, activities and more.


From Hale County Facts and Folklore comes this description of the founding and progress of Abernathy.




The exhibition Chagall: Modern Master is on view at Tate Liverpool museum June 8 through October 6, 2013. Marc Chagall (1887 – 1985) began painting folklorist narratives and became a combiner of fauve, cubist, expressionist and suprematist styles, while reflecting his native Jewish Russian culture. Here is some of his work


While in that city be sure to take one of the many tours focused on the Beatles this is only one at your disposal.




Preston E. Smith Correctional Institution is a state prison three miles east of Lamesa Texas on Farm to Market Road 827 east of US Highway 87 in Dawson County. It contains male inmates with a maximum capacity of 2,234 persons. Trusted inmates can work at a mattress factory, in farming and grazing operations, and in gardening. Education programs are contracted with Windham Education operating as Windham School District of Texas and Western Texas College (Snyder) . The warden is Stephen Swift.


It employs 419 people and is a significant industry for Lamesa.




Laverne Roach (1925 – February 23, 1950 age 25) was a welterweight and middleweight boxer from Plainview Texas and Ring Magazine Rookie of the Year in 1947. He suffered a tenth round knockout at St Nicholas Arena 69 West 66th Street in New York City, was taken to a hospital and died from a subdural  hemorrhage. His record was 27 wins [11 by KO] and 5 losses [2 by KO]. There is now a book in manuscript form by Frank Sikes titled The Laverne Roach Story: Boxing’s Unsung Hero, including a forward by Angelo Dundee famed trainer and boxing manager.


Homer Marquez, New Book Looks at Famed Local Boxer, Plainview Daily Herald, April 24, 2013 His widow Evelyn Trice is in her 90s and lives in Canyon Texas. She assisted the author in his researching the life and activities of Laverne.




The photograph by Malcolm Browne on June 11, 1963 of a Buddhist monk Thich Quang Duc who drenched himself with gasoline and was immolated, is still on our minds. This suicide was a protest on behalf of all Buddhists against the repressive actions of Roman Catholic Ngo Dinh Diem, South Vietnam’s ruler. another view Nearly a decade later a photograph of a naked Vietnamese girl whose clothing had been burned off her, running in terror toward the camera, equally invaded our consciousness.


Rebellion and war may be about nations but it is experienced by individual people, in so many and various ways that often seem unconnected to the national narrative. It never happens in any other way.




June 27 – August 2, 2013 is an exhibition Renzo Piano Building Workshop: Fragments at the Gagosian Gallery on West 21st Street in New York City. Gagosian Gallery release–june-27-2013 It looks fascinating as it allows us into the process of a master architect.




Architect Michael Graves, the siren of post-modernism, is featured in a 26 minute video at and his contributions to whimsical functional architecture are widely known. His website is He was strongly influenced by the liberating thoughts expressed by Robert Venturi in Complexity and Contradictions in Architecture (Museum of Modern Art 1966) Texas Tech Library OVERSZ NA2760.V46 That book is so influential for so many that it continues to be reprinted into the current century.




















Arts History Update for mid June 2013

8 Jun

Arts History Update for mid June 2013 by David Cummins


Saturday September 7, 2013 is the annual Adobe Walls Trek from Borger to The Battle of Adobe Walls (November 25, 1864) site and The Battle of Adobe Walls (June 27, 1874) site . It’s preceded by talks at 9:00 a.m. at the Phillips Building 300 West 6th Street by Alvin Lynn and James Coverdale. Attendees will drive their own vehicles caravan style to the battlefield sites where Coverdale will appear in full Indian regalia. Organization of the annual Trek is by Lynn Hopkins administrator of Hutchinson County Historical Museum phone 806-273-0130 e-mail Museum website is Adobe Walls Borger is 41 miles northeast of Amarillo and Adobe Walls is 37 miles northeast of Borger on the north side of the Canadian River as it flows east across the Texas Panhandle.


There is no cost for the Trek but reservations are required so that adequate portable toilets etc. can be positioned and objects on loan from the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum can be displayed appropriately.


Here is a photo of Adobe Walls Battlefield, formerly a trading post begun in 1845 but a ruin in 1864 when Kit Carson led U.S. Army troops arrived, and a fledgling settlement in 1874 when buffalo hunters were acting out.


Here are photos of the site and of the Centennial Marker in place on private property recalling the First Battle in 1864.


Kit Carson 1809 – 1868 was a colonel in the U.S. Army and in command of a troop sent east from Santa Fe into Comancheria to contend with the Kiowa  Comanche and other tribes who were disrupting transportation from Missouri on the Santa Fe Trail. He brought two howitzers with him and when he approached the ruin of the old trading post his scouts told him a Kiowa village was located nearby the Canadian River. He engaged the Indians who came out from the village to fight and was doing well, until the unexpected happened. His scouts had not told him there were other Kiowa and Comanche villages nearby and when warriors from those villages came to the battle Carson found his troop outnumbered ten to one. A mass of more than three thousand warriors was arrayed against him. He used the howitzers intelligently and repositioned them throughout the battle to respond to changing Indian tactics. By nightfall there had been heavy fighting but few casualties. Carson gave the order to withdraw from the location and headed west to New Mexico Territory using the howitzers as rear guard defense against pursuing Indians. Under cover of darkness that night Carson broke away from the battlefield. Only a few harassing Indians pursued so the Battle of Adobe Walls was over in one day. It was an Indian victory and Carson knew it, crediting the howitzers with the difference between a loss and a disaster. That was November 25, 1864. Context is significant. When the Civil War broke out in 1861 the U.S. Army abandoned the Texas line of forts and the Army’s southwestern extremity became Santa Fe in New Mexico Territory. Confederate forces were insufficient to both fight in the War and also engage with the Indians in Comancheria. Supposedly the latter would be in the hands of Texas Rangers, occasional and temporary recruited Texas militia, and county law enforcement. That three-legged stool was never adequate and the War allowed Indians in the southern plains to become dominant again. Carson’s task was to engage with the Indians and re-establish order and security along the Santa Fe Trail corridor.


Four days later, on November 29, 1864 Colonel John M. Chivington ordered two regiments of U.S. Army to attack a sizable Cheyenne and Arapaho encampment along Sand Creek in southeastern Colorado Territory. More than 150 Indians were killed, mostly women children and elderly. No prisoners were taken and the lodges and possessions of the camp were destroyed and the bodies mutilated. The massacre at Sand Creek [the Big Sandy before it flows into the Arkansas River] was well publicized because the Army did not hide its misdeeds. Troopers decorated their hats with the genitalia of Indian victims and wore those hats for a long period of time. Colonel Chivington appeared at the Denver Opera House with his collection of Indian skulls, proving that the Army engaged in scalping. Captain Soule, within the regimental command, had enough of the alleged battle, called off his troopers, and refused to participate in the decimation, later accusing the commander of misdeeds. The story is told from various perspectives in A Misplaced Massacre: Struggling Over the Memory of Sand Creek by Ari Kelman (Harvard University Press 2013). In 2007 the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site was opened It is north of Lamar Colorado twenty miles west of the Kansas border.


To put Kit Carson’s actions in context, he was illiterate but could sign his name. He was a mountain man and trapper 1829 – 1840, married two Indians and a Mexican woman Josefa, was a guide and scout for John C. Fremont’s expeditions [1842 – 1846] yielding him a national reputation, served as a scout for the U.S. Army in the Mexican American War, was a scout for the Army in Arizona and New Mexico Territories, and was an Indian Agent for the United States for northern New Mexico Territory. When the Civil War broke out he resigned as Indian Agent and organized New Mexico Volunteers for the U.S. Army and was given the rank of Colonel. When Navajo renegades harassed New Mexicans General Carleton ordered Carson to subdue and force the Navajo to relocate eastward to the Bosque Redondo [rounded wooded land astride bends in the river] near Fort Sumner on the Pecos River. He did so in the Spring of 1864 after previously having put 400 Mescalero Apache there. That genocidal event became known in history as The Long Walk. By 1868 the Navajo signed a treaty and were allowed to return to their homelands in Arizona Territory and northwestern New Mexico Territory. Also in 1868, while Carson was a rancher near Las Animas Colorado [east of Pueblo off US Highway 50 and just east of Old Fort Bent, astride the Arkansas River], his wife Josefa died while giving birth to their eighth child. A month later Carson died.


Why were there Navajo renegades? Fort Defiance Arizona Territory was opened in 1851 to create a military presence in the homeland of the Navajo. Unfortunately the Army chose prime Navajo grazing land as the site for the fort and some who wanted to use the land attacked in 1856 and again in 1860. The next year, after the Civil War broke out, the fort was abandoned. Navajo raids and use of New Mexicans’ land continued and it was that “renegade” behavior that caused General Carleton to impose the extreme displacement experiment. The site of Fort Defiance was four miles north of Window Rock Arizona and was later used as Indian Agency, Indian Hospital, and other Indian affairs buildings and locations.,_Arizona






America’s Cup 2013 is in the United States, specifically San Francisco Bay, the choice of billionaire Larry Ellison whose 2010 victory at Valencia Spain allowed him the choice of venue. Here is a slide show of the catamarans that compete at this level. Of the expected fifteen teams, only four will actually compete. Headquarters for Ellison is pier 27 on the Emarcadero facing Treasure Island. The expected challenger this year is

Artemis Racing Sweden. Ellison’s team is Oracle Team USA.


The Louis Vuitton Cup series of races on San Francisco Bay July 4 – September 1, 2013 will determine the actual challenger. The America’s Cup finals between the two teams will be races September 8 -13, 2013 on San Francisco Bay.





The Beauty of a Broken Silo is a seven minute video about a tornado-damaged silo in rural Alabama that caught the eye of an architectural photographer Timothy Hursley who cut a deal with the farm owner and purchased it for $2,000 and will ultimately remove it to another location. Through time lapse surveillance cameras Hursley has images of the former silo in all sorts of natural conditions and from many perspectives. Whatever it is at this point, it is an object of its own significance and no longer represents the function of a grain silo. We recall a former credo form follows function, and we know what form a silo must take if it is to work as a functioning grain silo. Now that it is broken and especially when it is dis-joined from the farm to which its silo character related, its form is non-functional and is simply a characteristic of its significance as an object.


Since it was not intentionally constructed in its present form, it carries the weight of accident or peradventure. Did it morph into its present form? Is it now a biological creature? Would it be different and how would it be different if the top part leaned at a different angle? Why does it have such a strong appeal to our senses?




The ongoing 55th Venice Italy Biennale with the theme The Encyclopedic Palace is reviewed highly by critics.


The United States pavilion is a permanent Palladian-like structure and was built in 1930





Lubbock Heritage Society just announced a one day down and back bus trip to Big Spring Saturday June 22 departing Buddy Holly Center at 7:45 a.m. and returning there around 6:00 p.m.; King’s Highway tour bus is commodious. Cost is only $25. Pay for your own lunch at the restored and reopened Hotel Settles where a one hour tour will be conducted by a staff person.


Tour Big Spring State Park, a facility locals call Scenic Mountain that was developed by CCC workers during the depression. Actually the park is an outcropping and bluff on an edge of the Edwards Plateau with a spring favored by the Comanche and later for a railroad station steam engine water stop.


Tour the Heritage Museum of Big Spring


Guided tour of Potton House built in 1901 for an Englishman who was an officer with The Texas & Pacific Railroad


Drive by for other sites such as Big Spring McMahon-Wrinkle Airport & Industrial Park general aviation airport terminal, federal prisons, Hangar 25 Air Museum, Vietnam War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Medical Center hospital complex, Comanche Trail City Park with commemorated Big Spring flowing into Comanche Trail Lake and a 6,900 seat limestone amphitheater.


reservations due by June 15 with Sonja Hartsfield Gotcher by phone 806-790-9337 or e-mail













Arts History Update for early June 2013

1 Jun

Arts History Update for early June 2013 by David Cummins


On Thursday May 29, 2013 a small-scale model sculpture of Benito Juarez at the Pass of the North was installed at Camino Real Hotel in El Paso at 101 South El Paso Street. The full-scale sculpture by John Sherrill Houser will be installed and dedicated later, closer to the international border. The sculpture depicts Juarez as a young boy and then again as president of a nation.


Begun in 1992 in El Paso, the Twelve Travelers Memorial of the Southwest sculpture project seeks to tell the story of the pass of the north in magnificent art pieces.


The sculptor’s website is


Two sculptures have already been dedicated and installed. The first is Fray Garcia de San Francisco – Founder of the Pass of the North – the Building of the Missions, that was dedicated and installed in El Paso’s downtown Pioneer Plaza in 1996 honoring the Franciscan priest who founded the area’s first mission.


The second is The Equestrian – Spanish Settlement of the Southwest [Don Juan de Onate holding a document La Toma declaring possession of the region for the King of Spain, in 1598, while sitting in full armor on a rearing horse]. It was dedicated and installed in 2007 at El Paso International Airport. Houser was interviewed on PBS Television when this statuary drew criticism and a small controversy.




Tours of cemeteries can be founts of historical information and lead to awareness of our own histories, personal and communal. On October 19, 2013 there will be a public tour of Llano Cemetery in Amarillo said to be the panhandle’s oldest cemetery. It is located east of Interstate Highway 27 between S.E. 27th Street and S.E. 34th Street. Enter from 34th Street across the street from Tradewinds Airport.




Last Frontier Heritage Celebration & Texas Buffalo Soldier Living History Encampment will occur in Morton Texas at Cochran County Park on June 29- 30, 2013. It features a re-enactment of the 1877 Buffalo Soldier Expedition during which a troop of 10th Cavalry were desperately seeking potable water. More information is available from Sammie Simpson e-mail phone 806-927-5191






The Dub Parks Memorial Arena, long used as a practice facility by the Texas Tech University Rodeo Association, at 4th Street and Quaker Avenue, is being razed or revamped. The cattle pens and horse stalls have been removed. The website does not indicate what is going on.




A new non-profit theatre company in town is Sidecar Theatre Company sponsored by National Travel. It will produce Hairspray the Musical August 15-18 and 22-25 nine performances at LHUCA [Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts] Firehouse Theatre all seats $28. Founders are Rich Morra and Tom Chace. General Manager is Ronnie D. Miller e-mail and artistic director is Joshua A. Aguirre e-mail . Theatre offices are located at 4314 South Loop 289 Suite 300.




West Texas Through the Lens is a 7 minute film produced by Texas Tech University photography class students who focused on Quanah Parker Trail arrow installations and went to several communities and shot photos. Their film is viewable at and is quite enjoyable.


The subtext is a glimpse by us into what is taught and learned in the College of Media and Communication film and photography classes at Texas Tech.


The Quanah Parker Trail website is


Charles A. Smith, retired cotton farmer and gin operator living near New Home Texas south of Lubbock, is a masterful metal sculptor. He produced a prototype and was selected to make and install the giant size arrows emblazoned in Comanche colors. The arrow in Lubbock was installed last July in Mackenzie Park in front of the Agriculture Museum. Head out to east Broadway Street and turn north.





High Plains Winegrowers first annual Wine & Music Festival is June 14 – 15 at Mallet Event Center & Arena in Levelland Texas. Admission to the two day trade show ending at 6:00 p.m. each day is $5. Admission to the music events each night range from $30 to $60 per person depending on location relative to the stage. Winegrowers on the staked plains of West Texas produce 70% of the wine grapes grown in Texas.


Mallet Event Center & Arena


On Saturday July 27 there will be a bus tour of several Terry County Vineyards $15 per person sponsored by Brownfield Chamber of Commerce followed by Lubbock Wines & Vines Festival on August 2 at McPherson Cellars Winery in downtown Lubbock.


To get ready for this activity you may wish to start off by attending the Llano Estacado Winery Wine & Clay Festival on Saturday June 8 or Sunday June 9 in Lubbock. Admission is free. There will be many pieces of art for sale, not limited to ceramics as the title might indicate, music by Kenny Maines and others. Wine by the glass is on offer to adults. The location is 3426 East Farm to Market Road 1585. Go south of Lubbock on US Highway 87 and drive east on 1585. Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5:00 p.m.


Jim and Catherine Bodenstedt of San Antonio sold Cap*Rock Winery to Gary Sowder and Matt Hess. The new winemaker is Monty Paulsen. The website says nothing of this. Bodenstedt purchased the winery in 2010 for $2.5 million.




The Messengers (2013) by David B. Hickman is a kinetic metal sculpture installed this past week in a courtyard south of the Media & Communication Building at 15th Street and Flint Avenue on the Texas Tech University campus. Five metal messenger pigeons representing the five senses move in the ever-present West Texas wind. There is a circular pad base representing the earth and words on ten limestone benches spell out the injunction “think about how you communicate”.


The installed original art piece is a commissioned work under a program allocating one percent for art portion of building and renovation capital costs.