Arts History Update for mid March 2013

5 Apr

Arts History Update for mid March 2013 by David Cummins

 

Chateau La Coste in Provence France is a vineyard and winery with a reputation www.chateua-la-coste.com that decided in 2004 to devote space in its domain for art and architecture, so it invited select artists and architects to arrive, explore and choose a place at which they would install art. One of the outcomes is Four Cubes To Contemplate Our Environment (2011) by Tado Ando http://archidose.blogspot.com/2013/02/todays-archidose-653.html Here is a sculpture on a hill overlooking the vineyard http://www.chateau-la-coste.com/practical-information/ The public responded so well that the Chateau now has set up an Art & Architecture Walk during daylight hours that the public may access for a fee and explore even if it doesn’t wish to enter the shop or tasting room to sample or purchase the wine.

 

Back in the USA there is an annual Art & the Vineyard Festival in Eugene Oregon www.artandthevineyard.org that became the principal fundraiser for Maude Kerns Art Center http://www.mkartcenter.org/ when it attracted 25,000 visitors. And of course when there is wine and art you often find music to let the joy exude forth in sound. http://www.artandthevineyard.org/music.html The next festival is July 4-6 at Alton Baker Park. Contact staff@mkartcenter.org for more information.

 

In our location the third annual Lubbock Wine Festival takes place in May at 1701 Canyon Lake Drive, the hillside grounds at the American Wind Power Center & Museum http://www.lubbockwinefestival.com/

 

On August 2-3 McPherson Cellars in Lubbock at 1615 Texas Avenue www.mcphersoncellars.com will host the second annual Wines & Vines Festival benefiting the Texas Wine and Grape Growers Foundation based in Grapevine Texas.

 

If one wishes to get warmed up with a snippet of festival, each Sunday afternoon at Cap*Rock Winery there is music from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. free admission, purchase wine by the glass if you like. When weather is inclement, it’s located in the Barrel Room, when balmy it’s on the east patio. Recent musicians included: Gary Nix Trio, Kenny Maines, Midnite Express Limited, Mike Pritchard & Mark Wallney, and Jazz Alley. www.caprockwinery.com Don’t be caught without a plan for Sunday afternoon.

 

Take U.S. Highway 87 south of Lubbock to Woodrow Road, a new traffic lighted intersection, and turn east to Cap*Rock Winery viewable on the south side of Woodrow Road. The exterior of the structure is interesting, reminding us that once it was Teysha Cellars 1988 changing its name to Cap*Rock Winery in 1992.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/011401/bus_011401007.shtml The Indian sculpture in the lobby is gone, harkening back to early days. Teysha is a word in the Caddo tribe language from which is derived Tejas [TAY-Haus] meaning friends or allies, from which is derived the word and concept Texas.

 

—————————–

 

 

Ogallala Commons is a non-profit organization serving communities in the High Plains – Ogallala Aquifer region stretching from southern South Dakota to the Texas Panhandle. The 24th annual Southern Plains Conference will be held March 20-21 on the campus of West Texas A&M University in Canyon Texas, at the Jack B. Kelly Conference Center. The theme is “Spare Time on the Plains: The Search for Leisure and Recreation” http://ogallalacommons.org/programs/southern-plains-conference/ Here is the brochure and program of events http://ogallalacommons.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013SouthernPlainsConference1.pdf

————————————-

Archives of 4th Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, in the Army Museum of Military History indicate the activity of the Regiment in the Indian War of 1871-1875

After the capture of Macon, Georgia, the regiment remained there until late in November 1865 when it was ordered to Texas where ten companies were concentrated at San Antonio and two companies were sent to the Rio Grande. In the fall of 1866 the companies occupied the posts of Verde, Fredericksburg and Macon. In 1867 old Fort Chadbourne was reoccupied by four companies of the 4th Cavalry. In May, 1873, it was concentrated at Forts Clark and Duncan and under Ranald S. Mackenzie made a march into Old Mexico, surprising a Kickapoo village 40 miles in the interior, near Rey Molino. This affair was the result of an arrangement, with the tacit approval of the authorities on both sides of the Rio Grande, to permit troops in hot pursuit of Indian marauders to follow them across the line. The troops engaged consisted of A, B, C, E, I, M, and a detachment of Seminole scouts under Lieut. Bullitt. The Rio Grande was forded at night and the Kickapoo camp was surprised soon after daylight: the camp was burned and 200 horses and forty squaws and children were captured�the heads of families being absent on a raid.

In August, 1874, eight companies of the Fourth Cavalry, commanded by Captains McLaughlin, Beaumont, Gunther, Boehm, Wirt, and Heyl left Fort McKavett and proceeded via Fort Concho, Texas, on the North Concho River, to a point on the First Fork of the Brazos close to the Staked Plains. Here a supply camp was established on September 2 and left under the command of Col. Thomas Anderson [historical marker Anderson’s Fort six miles north of modern Spur ten miles south of Dickens in Dickens County http://www.forttours.com/pages/hmdickens.asp ] while the cavalry and an escort of the 8th Infantry for the wagon train scouted the heads of the Brazos, Pecos and Red rivers. On the night of the 26th of September hostile Indians attacked the camp of the 2d battalion under Capt. Beaumont and was driven off

217

without loss to the command, and on the following day an attempt to bring them into action failed. Col. Mackenzie was present with the battalion, and directed operations.

On September 27 the command marched all night and at daybreak surprised several small camps of Ouajada Comanches in the Paladuro Cañon of the Red River, burning numerous teepees and capturing over 1600 head of horses and mules. About midnight during the march, a broad trail was struck which was followed until daylight, when it led into a steep cañon some six or seven hundred feet deep. It was necessary to dismount and lead the horses as it was impossible to ride. Half way down, a sleeping Indian was awakened by the noise of the command, and springing upon a pony gave a piercing yell of alarm which was echoed at the bottom of the narrow valley where the Indians could be seen rushing out of their lodges and trying to throw some of their effects on their ponies, but they were too late to save anything. The squaws and children rushed into the side ravines among the rocks and brushes while the companies led by Captains Beaumont and Boehm pushed rapidly up the cañon expecting to meet a heavy resistance every moment. The cañon was almost choked with horses and it was difficult to get ahead of them, but the two companies finally succeeded in forcing their way through the frightened herd and turned it back. Lieut. Dorst, who had command of the advance skirmishers, drove the Indians before him and kept the way clear for the two companies, and when ordered to return brought with him a hundred horses picked up in a side canon. Gen. Mackenzie ordered the command twice to halt, but Capt. Beaumont, being in advance, sent word back that it was injudicious to halt when the enemy were in full flight and as many horses would be lost. The second order to halt was received when the bulk of the horses had been secured. Capt. Boehm made his way through the brush and foot hills with remarkable rapidity and had his company well in hand. The horses were slowly driven down the cañon, when the foe commenced firing from the south side of the cañon, but after wounding a couple of horses and a trumpeter of Capt. Gunther’s troop were silenced by twenty men of A troop led by Lieut. Dorst, who with great fatigue climbed the almost perpendicular .north face of the cañon and opened fire. The lodges were burned containing large supplies of dried buffalo meat, robes and kettles, and the horses and mules driven back up the trail of the plain. After a rest the whole command moved back to the wagon train where it arrived at midnight and, putting the animals into the corral formed by the wagons, took a well earned sleep. Next day some twelve hundred of the animals were shot as it was impossible to hold them together to drive two hundred miles of Fort Griffin, the nearest post. This band of Indians was on foot and rapidly traveled to Fort Sill, willing to sue for peace at any price. The command remained in the field until late in December, and during that period visited heretofore unknown districts of the Staked Plains, and upon one occasion surprised a camp of Indians, capturing a dozen squaws and children and about one hundred and sixty horses. The command proceeded to Fort Griffin, arriving there December 27, 1874, having been nine days in making a march of only one hundred miles. The wagons had to be pulled http://www.history.army.mil/books/R&H/R&H-4CV.htm

This rather pungent synthesis of a number of reports from Regimental officers, describes the final battle in Palo Duro Canyon in Fall 1874 when Comanche were separated from the largest part of the herd or remuda of horses on which they relied. After the camps in the base of the canyon were burned and supplies destroyed, the Comanche were left with few enough wagons and horses that most walked to the reservation astride Fort Sill in Oklahoma Territory.

The Comanche side of the story is told at The Comanche National Museum and Cultural Center http://comanchemuseum.com/ opened in 2007 at 701 NW Ferris Avenue, Lawton Oklahoma. The Museum of the Great Plains http://www.museumgreatplains.org/ is nearby at 601 NW Ferris Avenue.

The Fort Sill National Historic Landmark Museum http://fortsillmuseum.com/ is located at 437 Quanah Road, Fort Sill Oklahoma. The Artillery Collection formerly housed at that museum was moved in 2009 to the U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum http://sill-www.army.mil/famuseum/ located on post. When the Air Defense Artillery School was moved from Fort Bliss Texas to Fort Sill, the Air Defense Artillery Museum was moved as well and its artifacts are stored in an accessible warehouse near Henry Post Army Airfield awaiting the construction of a museum building. http://sill-www.army.mil/adamuseum/news.htm

Quanah Parker’s Star House (1890) in Cache Oklahoma, Comanche County, is twelve miles west of Lawton on U.S. Highway 62. North of Cache is the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichita.html managed by U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. It is those mountains which are the storied birthplace of Quanah Parker and residence of his mother Cynthia Ann Parker and Chief Peta Nocona, son of Iron Jacket. http://www.geni.com/people/Peta-Nocona/6000000010051362400 Cynthia at age eleven in 1836 was captured by Comanche in a raid on the Parker family compound near modern Groesbeck Texas [east of Waco south of Corsicana]. She and her daughter Prairie Flower [Topsannah] were recaptured by Sul [Lawrence Sullivan Ross] Ross and others in December 1860 on Mule Creek near the Pease River [not far from modern Crowell Texas]. She could never re-adapt to Anglo life and died unhappy a decade later after several failed attempts to escape. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpa18

Quanah Parker died in 1911 and was buried in Post Oak Cemetery but in 1957 his body was relocated to Chief’s Knoll in Fort Sill Post Cemetery and a large monument erected authorized by an Act of Congress. Here are photographs of the Knoll and the Quanah Parker Monument. http://www.blogoklahoma.us/place.asp?id=490 another http://www.blogoklahoma.us/place.asp?id=388 Geronimo’s grave marker is nearby http://www.blogoklahoma.us/place.asp?id=389 as he died at Fort Sill as a prisoner in 1909.

———————-

Canadian Texas bills itself as an Oasis on the Prairie www.canadiantx.org and now we are told that it has nineteen restaurants https://www.facebook.com/notes/canadian-texas/restaurants-in-canadian/10151340360272406 Haven’t eaten in any of them but an emporium that chooses a name like Stumblin’ Goat Saloon 217 South 2nd Street is a not to be missed place. March 4-8, 2013 is Restaurant Week in Canadian. However you serve your palate, you might visit River Valley Pioneer Museum http://www.rivervalleymuseum.org/ , The Citadelle Mansion Gardens and Art Collection http://www.thecitadelle.org/ , walk across Canadian River Wagon Bridge http://www.canadiantx.org/images/stories/documents/bridge2.pdf , and stroll the paths at Lake Marvin http://www.canadiantx.org/images/stories/documents/lake_marvin_guide2.pdf Reserve time to travel west from Canadian twenty miles to Adobe Walls where Kit Carson and others fought a Battle on November 25, 1864 and buffalo hunters fought another on June 27, 1874. Comanche Kiowa and Apache were all active in this area in the 19th century.

——————————–

B. Byron Price, Charles Goodnight: A Man for All Ages (Four – O Publishing October 2012, photography by Wyman Meinzer) www.goodnightbook.org was introduced at the occasion of the restoration and October 5, 2012 grand opening of Charles and Mary Ann Dyer (Molly) Goodnight Ranch House six miles east of Claude on U.S. Highway 287. It is the focal point of the Charles Goodnight Historical Center. http://www.armstrongcountymuseum.com/goodnight-historical-center.html The J. Evetts Haley Visitor and Education Center on the grounds will open April 13, 2013.

 

B. Byron Price is Director of Charles M. Russell Center for the Study of Art of the American West at University of Oklahoma. He is co-author with Christopher Lyon of Fine Art of the West (Abbeville Press 2004). The book Charles Goodnight: A Man for All Ages is available online http://www.armstrongcountymuseum.com/charles-goodnight-book.html hardcover $45 paperback $20.

 

While Goodnight opened the JA Ranch with a herd of 1,600 cattle in Palo Duro Canyon in 1876 within a year after Comanche were removed by the U.S. Army under command of Colonel Ranald Mackenzie, he stopped ranching for John Adair and his widow and in 1887 opened his own Goodnight Ranch operating it until 1919 but the couple continued to live in the Ranch House through 1926 when Molly died and Charles moved into the town of Claude. They were cattle breeders as well as ranchers and responsible for improving herds. They also saved bison and operated bison herds. The title Father of the Cattle Industry in the Texas Panhandle was well-deserved. Art at the Charles Goodnight Historical Center includes a marvelous bronze Back From the Brink (2001) by Veryl Goodnight, a Colorado sculptor and descendant, http://www.armstrongcountymuseum.com/goodnight-historical-center.html that is ten percent over life size of a pioneer woman bottle feeding a bison calf http://verylgoodnight.com/Subpages/BackFromtheBrinkLife.html The brink refers to the destruction of bison herds by buffalo hunters and the preservation of a few by the Goodnight ranch operation and its restoration of bison herds. Today we have preserved a state-owned bison herd at Caprock Canyons State Park near Quitaque. A few head were transported to the Goodnight Ranch for the grand opening in October 2012 so people could see bison near the Goodnight Ranch House similar to Goodnight’s view of his preserved beloved bison. He knew them to be historic and so do we. Here are photos of the bison herd at Caprock Canyons State Park www.facebook.com/caprock.canyons

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: