Arts History Update for late March 2013

5 Apr

Arts History Update for late March 2013 by David Cummins

 

Lincoln Park in San Francisco California was named for President Abraham Lincoln in 1909. The Park is 100 acres of a northwestern corner of the San Francisco peninsula. It is the western terminus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lincoln_Highway_-_Western_Terminus.JPG of the Lincoln Highway (1913), a coast to coast road that traverses thirteen states http://www.historicbyway.com/information/what-is-the-lincoln-highway affectionately known as Main Street Across America. In 1923 Lincoln Park became the site for a Great War [later renamed World War I] memorial called California Palace of the Legion of Honor. It is now an Art Museum usually referred to as Palace of the Legion of Honor (Art Museum). http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/

 

In 1984 the San Francisco Holocaust Memorial was dedicated in Lincoln Park, sculpted by George Segal. http://sanfrancisco.about.com/od/sanfranciscophoto1/ig/outerrichmond/rcholocaustmem.htm

 

At Land’s End promontory within Lincoln Park is a Japanese Monument or Kanrin Maru Monument http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6969697479_1d0bf83476_z.jpg that was dedicated in 1960 as a monument of friendship between the Japanese and American people replacing the animosity and hostility during World War II.

 

USS San Francisco was a U.S. Navy heavy cruiser (CA-38) launched in 1933 that saw extensive action in World War II in the Pacific. At the Battle of Guadalcanal in 1942 she lost 106 men including Rear Admiral Daniel Callaghan. Decommissioned in 1946, a portion of the shell-pocked flag bridge is encased as a monument at Land’s End in Lincoln Park overlooking the Pacific Ocean. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/6823405620/ The ship’s bell from the USS San Francisco is on view in the lobby of the Marines Memorial Club & Hotel at 609 Sutter Street off Union Square in downtown San Francisco.

 

Lincoln Park contains an 18 hole public golf course with singular seascape and cityscape views. https://sites.google.com/site/lincolnparkgolfclub/

 

To the south of Lincoln Park is the Richmond district of the city. To the south of that is Golden Gate Park in which is located the famous Japanese Tea Garden http://japaneseteagardensf.com/ and the de Young Museum of Art. http://deyoung.famsf.org/ and the California Academy of Sciences http://calacademy.org/ Golden Gate Park extends three miles west from Stanyan Street to the bluff overlooking Ocean Beach. http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/us/ca/sanfranciscowest

 

San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park is just west of Fisherman’s Wharf and extends west to Fort Mason Center. The park visitor center, operated by the National Park Service, is on Hyde Street east of the Powell and Hyde Streets Cable Car Turnaround. The Lagoon and Beach is bordered by the Municipal Pier to the west and the Hyde Street Pier to the east at which are moored the Alma [1891 scow schooner], Balclutha [1886 square-rigger], Eppleton Hall [1914 paddlewheel tug], C.A. Thayer [1895 lumber schooner], Hercules [1907 steam-powered tug], and Eureka [1890 steam-powered ferryboat] http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/historic-vessels.htm There is also a small boat collection of yawls, prams, tule splitters, dories, a Chinese shrimp junk, and a sloop. http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/small-craft.htm

 

San Francisco Musem and Historical Society located at The Old Mint 785 Market Street, is undergoing a restoration to become San Francisco Museum at the Mint http://www.sanfranciscomuseum.org/ The National Historic Landmark San Francisco Mint (1874 designed in classical revival style by Alfred B. Mullett) is the centerpiece of the project. It survived the 1906 earthquake and fire. The goal is a LEED Platinum certification restored and refitted building.

 

 

———————–

 

Art Cycle 2013 by the Texas Tech Museum is actually a recycle event in which people are invited to donate their no longer treasured treasures, dropping them off at the Museum back [east] door March 21, 22, 28 or 29 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. after which they will be sorted priced and prepared for display April 11 – 14 and sold at very low prices to become treasures of someone else. The place for display and sale will be a booth at the annual Lubbock Arts Festival in the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center Exhibit Hall April 11 – 14. The proceeds benefit the Museum Association and through it Museum events and activities. Donations and purchases are for a good cause and some folks feel relieved when their undisplayed treasures are appreciated and displayed by their new owners. Recycling works as a win-win activity, leading to its popularity.

 

 

————————-

 

 

Aristotle was really ahead of his time. He said “the aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance”. An art appreciation class could be taught with that remark as the opening ambit, and a short discussion and display of images would suffice to make the point.

 

 

—————————

 

A computer digitized resource for looking up Texas history is The Portal to Texas History at University of North Texas Libraries www.texashistory.unt.edu It is accessible to the public without charge.

 

—————–

 

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce [pierced nose people] tribe lived 1840 – 1904. Here is Edward Curtis’s famous photographs of Chief Joseph http://edwardcurtisphotographer.com/chief_joseph.htm When his father converted to Christianity the son was baptized at the Lapwai Idaho mission and given the Christian name Joseph to replace his Indian name Thunder Rolling Down the Mountain. His father signed a treaty in 1855 that gave the tribe its Wallowa Mountains area [northeastern Oregon] and other adjoining lands in Washington State and Idaho as a reserve, but in 1863 the federal government replaced it with a new treaty awarding the tribe only ten percent of those lands, all in Idaho and none of its homeland in the Wallowa Mountains area. His father refused to sign the treaty but Chief Lawyer signed. Joseph’s father accordingly became a non-treaty Indian, died in 1871, and Joseph became a chief of non-treaty Nez Perce Indians. He refused to leave the Wallowa Mountains area and in 1877 U.S. Army General Oliver Howard was ordered to physically remove the tribe to its smaller Idaho reservation. Chief Joseph would not be herded, he bolted and led remnants of the tribe on a 1,400 mile trek ending near the Canadian border in Montana. General Nelson Miles accepted the surrender and the chief declared “hear me, my chiefs, my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.”

 

He and the tribe were sent first to Fort Leavenworth Kansas as prisoners and then to Indian Territory [Oklahoma] where few survived, and those were then split and led to reservation land near Kooskia Idaho while Chief Joseph and others were led to the Colville Reservation in Washington State in the grand coulee area of north central Washington State in Okanogan County. He pleaded repeatedly to be allowed to return to the Wallowa Mountains area but the federal government refused. His grave in 1904 was a cairn of rocks in a cemetery at Nespelem Washington. Eventually a concrete monument would be erected at the site. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=3502&PIpi=3190508 In the year before his death he visited Seattle and made a speech in an auditorium that went into the history books but persuaded no one in attendance. Curtis photographed him again in his studio as he had earlier on the Colville Reservation. Curtis said Joseph “was one of the greatest men that has ever lived”.

 

In his honor a hydroelectric dam on the Columbia River is named Chief Joseph Dam http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/LocksandDams/ChiefJosephDam.aspx ; other sites are Chief Joseph Scenic Byway http://www.yellowstonecountry.org/things-to-do/scenic-byways/chief-joseph-scenic-byway/ , Chief Joseph Pass http://www.allmissoula.com/scenic_drives/chief_joseph_pass.php , Joseph Canyon http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2CRG_Joseph_Canyon_Viewpoint , the town of Joseph Oregon http://josephoregon.org/ , and Joseph Creek http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/4298/ .

 

——————————–

 

Richard L. Rashke, Escape From Sobibor (Avon Books 1982, 1987) Texas Tech Southwest Collection Special Collection Libraries 62.65 R224 E74 (1987) is currently available on Kindle at Amazon.com for $2.99. It tells the story in 390 pages of a Nazi death camp for Jews in Poland from which 600 inmates attempted an escape, 300 successfully, on October 14, 1943. There are six other items on Sobibor at Lubbock Public Library and nine at Texas Tech Library.

 

———————–

 

The Mallet Event Center & Arena in Levelland Texas http://malleteventcenter.com/facility.htm has been open for over a year. It is a $15 million facility. Appropriately named for the Mallet Cattle Company Ranch on which land much of the campus of South Plains College now is located, it was that ranch in Hockley County operated by David DeVitt where his daughters Helen DeVitt Jones and Christine DeVitt grew up. The latter eventually became the successful female operator of a large ranch and oil operation. David J. Murrah, Oil Taxes and Cats: The Saga of the DeVitt Family and the Mallet Ranch (Texas Tech University Press 1994 hardcover 2001 paperback) Texas Tech Library F394.M294 M87

 

Rodeos, cattle sales and auctions are held at the Mallet Event Center & Arena as well as business meetings of all kinds, especially when display space is important. http://lubbockonline.com/regional/2013-03-26/mallet-event-center-brought-growth-levelland#.UVOqrRdvMuo

 

Earlier this month a Quanah Parker Trail giant arrow was installed at Lobo Park in Levelland and another in Morton one block south of The Last Frontier Museum. They were designed, sculpted and prepared for installation by artist Charles Smith of New Home Texas. http://hprnnews.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/hockley-county-to-be-added-to-the-quanah-parker-trail-map/ see the website www.quanahparkertrail.com

 

Many people enjoyed the annual bus tours on a Saturday in September of historic ranches and historic event sites conducted by the historical commissions of Hockley and Cochran counties. The full day event with lunch dinner and entertainment was well worth the cost of around $75. Entry onto private ranches and other properties was secured by the tour operators so this was a unique opportunity. John Hope, chair of the Hockley County Historical Commission, reports that no tour will be conducted in 2013. He did say that some folks are suggesting that ranches and historic sites in the rolling plains counties to the east might be good candidates for touring.

 

 

 

———————–

 

A one evening film festival of short pieces related to literary writings, will be held Friday April 5, 2013 at Texas Tech University English Building Lecture Hall 001 (basement) from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. $25 admission and gourmet popcorn and sodas will be served. Included will be original short films, video essays, stories, and cinematic poetry. The sponsor of this event is Iron Horse Literary Review www.ironhorsereview.com and more information is available by e-mail at ihlr.mail@gmail.com or phone 806-432-2385 speaking to Leslie Jill Patterson, a student and probably an English major at Texas Tech University.

 

—————————–

 

Texas Tech students from foreign countries get together each year to cook their favorite dishes and supply them for your pleasure at the International Food Festival 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Frazier Alumni Pavilion on campus southwest of the football stadium. The date is Sunday March 24. Buy tickets $1 each and sample dishes around the hall. If you haven’t eaten Brazilian or Nepalese [e.g.], this is your chance.

 

—————————

 

When we say something is supported by The Meadows Foundation in Dallas http://mfi.org/ we sometimes don’t know who started that foundation. Algur (Al) H. Meadows, was born on April 24, 1899, in Vidalia, Georgia, to John M. and Sally Marie Elora (Daily) Meadows. In 1915, he graduated from Vidalia Collegiate Institute and later attended Georgia and Alabama Business College and Mercer University. After leaving Mercer to travel the south, Al worked with Standard Oil Company in Shreveport, Louisiana, from 1921 to 1929 and concurrently earned a law degree from Centenary College. During this time, he married Virginia Stuart Garrison, with whom he had one son. By 1936, he founded the General Finance Company and the General American Oil Company. Located in Dallas, Texas, the oil company expanded throughout fifteen states, Canada, and Spain. While working in Spain, he acquired numerous paintings by artists such as El Greco and Goya. During 1948, Al and Virginia established the Meadows Foundation to perpetuate their joy of giving to others. Today, the Foundation has generously benefited numerous Texas organizations and institutions. Upon Virginia’s death in 1961, he donated their art collection and a million-dollar endowment to Southern Methodist University to establish a museum of Spanish art. Al served on numerous boards of directors and as a member of many professional, civic, and social organizations. Al passed away June 10, 1978.

 

————————-

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: